DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the tension strut bushings on my 1995 Intrepid (165k); why does the Haynes manual say take the strut to an automotive machine shop? What is the approximate stripping and assembly time, per side? Anyone know of a source for the isolator bushings?
Should I replace the lower control arms at the same time?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I don't have any real information on replacing your "tension strut" bushings, but I'd say for pulling the struts putting in new bushings and so on. Assuming your doing it all by hand I'd say 2 hours per side? Most likely less.

For your isolator bushings, try rockauto . com, or autozone. Also, if the control arm bushings, or the ball joint is bad or noticeably worn i'd say replace it.

Good luck, i wish i could be of more help!

·
Registered
51 Posts
The tension strut is also call the the Strut Rod...Look for strut rod bushings... The tension strut/strut rod has two bushings..One for frame attachment, and the other is pressed into the control arm (thats why the haynes manual says to take to machine shop). If its just the bushings that need replaced, you'll have to remove both the control arm (Ball joint) and tension strut. With everything removed you can check the ball joint for play...if it is excessive, replace with a new control arm. The new control arm will have the tension strut bushing already in place...from there all you will need is the rod to frame bushings

1 - 3 of 3 Posts