DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by the local MOPAR dealership today because I noticed they had a few of the new Dodge Nitro's in stock. I just wanted to take a look and "try one on" so-to-speak.

Even though I told the salesman I had no intention of buying now, he insisted I take a test-drive. I drove an SXT (base package) with the 3.7 litre SOHC V-6. It had a fair amount of pep and moved on down the highway with a smoother ride than I expected. Mileage estimated at 18-MPG city -- 24-MPG highway.

All three models at the dealership were base SXT packages with minimal options. I wasn't very impressed with the interior (a little cheap looking, IMHO). But I was impressed with the overall ride and handling...much better than I expected. I'll have to go back and check out the 4.0 litre R/T when they get one in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Side notes:

-- They also had one new Chrysler Aspen on the lot but, as someone was in the process of purchasing it, I didn't get to check it out too closely. I hadn't been that impressed with the pics, but I thought it looked better in person.

-- New Sebring sedan on the lot too. Also better looking in person than in pics, but I'm still not that fond of it.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
That 3.7 is the same I had in my Libby, which the Nitro basically is anyways. I never even saw my average MPG break 20, and I was driving it 60 miles each way to Boston, with minimal city mileage.

·
Registered
13,702 Posts
My rental is a Liberty and I'm at 20MPG. My delaer got Nitros in last week (when I dropped of Mnitetrain), they hadn't prepped it yet but said the 3.7 is different than the Libert6y and the guys that did drive it were quite impressed with the difference from the Liberty.

Speaking 0of the Liberty, when I first got it I HATED it, thought it was very busy (stop & go around town) then I got it on the highway and it grew on me and wife likes it, but mileage wouldn't cut it for me.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hope the inside looks better than the outside. The styling would make want to puke all over the upholstery. The Nitro is one FUGLY looking vehicle.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
boltuprite said:
Hope the inside looks better than the outside. The styling would make want to puke all over the upholstery. The Nitro is one FUGLY looking vehicle.
I think its geared towards the Jeep style vehicles, hence the above Liberty references. The Nitro is probably the minimal, utility, no-frills vehicle in the line-up. I do agree it looks a lot like a Jeep, and would have to say I like the Compass better, but thats just me talkin. A lot of chrysler vehicles right now are trying to look fancier (Sebring reminds me of the Crossfire) while this one looks a little cheaper.

Josiah

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
I actually miss my Liberty. If it got better mileage, and I didn't end up purchasing my home (one year ago today actually) I would still be driving it. It handled good, had decent power, was un-touchable in the snow, and had a very comfrotable driving postition.

·
Registered
677 Posts
One of my co-workers brought a brand new Nitro to work today. I thought it was sort of ugly before I saw it in person, now I KNOW it's ugly as hell. It looks like a Hummer H4 if there was such a thing. :D Too square with big, flat panels everywhere. Hideous.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I like the looks of the Nitro too.
Why do they have a stinkin SOHC and not a DOHC? Or does it matter?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think the nitro is hideous as well as the liberty thats a jeep for women drivers. I like that new suv they got forget the name of it. Also love my buddys at work new Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8. Now thats a kick ass jeep.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
creepingdeath said:
I like the looks of the Nitro too.
Why do they have a stinkin SOHC and not a DOHC? Or does it matter?
The 3.7 is SOHC, as is the 4.0 (3.5 anyone?) (with the 3.7 beating the tar out of the ancient 3.9) Only engines that will be DOHC out of Chrysler are the 1.8, 2.0, 2.4, 2.7 V-6, and in 08 the 4.7L will be DOHC and have 3 valves/cyl.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts