DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You know they need to ban blonde girls talking on cell phones, and trying to drive at the same time !!! I was on a two lane highway today going about 55 MPH (that's what the speed limit was in the area, after this location it turns to 65 MPH) going around a turn in a hill here outside of town. And this turn is a bad one, it's a blind turn, where you can't see to much down the road ahead of you. Well as I was makeing the turn, here comes this girl in a Grand Am in my lane ! See was in my lane going around the corner coming head on right at me. Well I hit the brakes hard, and the tires locked up for just a second then I felt and heard the Anti-Lock's kick in, I was able to steer to the left of her, into the lane that she should have been in. I was lucky that someone wasn't behide her our I would have hit them. But the funny thing is I remember she was some young blonde girl on a stupid cell. It's funny when something like this happens, I seem to remember the small stuff, like the Anti-Lock's kicking in, and that girl and her cell to her head. Well aleast I didn't get in a head-on today, because I think if I didn't have the Anti-Locks on my Trep that I would have just locked-up the brakes and just hit her, instead of turning to the left of her. I'am glad I have them, and I'am also glad I still got my Trep in one piece. :biggrin:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Your lucky as hell, I get irritated when I see people 'drifting' into my lane, let alone hanging in between two lanes bc they are on the phone, reading, eating, etc its all about controlling your vehicle which many people don't care a bit about.

Did she at least drop the phone when she saw you or make any attempt to put car back in her lane?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
windowpane said:
Your lucky as hell, I get irritated when I see people 'drifting' into my lane, let alone hanging in between two lanes bc they are on the phone, reading, eating, etc its all about controlling your vehicle which many people don't care a bit about.

Did she at least drop the phone when she saw you or make any attempt to put car back in her lane?
From what I can remember neither. Glad she didn't try to trun back in her lane, she may have hit me then.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Unreal!
That ABS really does come in handy with some of those drivers out there.
I had a close call last weekend too. This airhead in a caravan turned left right, RIGHT in front of me and without the ABS I bet I would’ve locked the wheels up and given her a pretty good punch from the side. The worst part was that I could see the petrified faces of the kids in the van, who all saw as I came within a foot of hitting it, but the driver didn’t notice me or pause in her conversation on what I think was her Bluetooth earpiece until I honked my horn after I came to a complete stop. Then all she did was give me an annoyed look. I swear if there hadn’t been kids in the car I probably would have taken the time to roll down my windows so she could see, and then given her the double finger...I might have even tried to give her the “toe” too.

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
windowpane said:
My #1 cause for road rage! Why is it so hard for some people to keep their car in their lane. :flame:

·
Registered
605 Posts
That is just why i installed a full install car kit in our intrepid.We're going to be changing to Razr phones soon so i'll be getting rid of the current motorola car kit i have now to change over to the Razr full install kit if anyone will be interested in the near future..Here's the kit http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-S9950-S9950A-S9610-FULL-INSTALL-CAR-KIT-NEW_W0QQitemZ5746966156QQcategoryZ35190QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
and here is the hangup cups i have http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OEM-MOTOROLA-HANG-UP-CRADLE-CUP-KIT-SYN0301-FOR-V60_W0QQitemZ9717518036QQcategoryZ35189QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
and this one http://cgi.ebay.com/New-OEM-Motorola-V540-V551-V555-Car-kit-Cradle-SYN0818_W0QQitemZ9732105655QQcategoryZ35190QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

J

·
0 Posts
Man.. Listen..
That car kit is groovy and all, but I'd rather drive, and enjoy the steering wheel concentration instead. The only thing I want breaking my concentration is crazy guitar riffs from Pearl Jam.

:)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Wow. Talk about close. I hate cell phones. I don't own one, don't want one unless if its for emergencies. I see these people yapping on their cell phones driving their big black luxury SUVs. I can't wait for the day when one of them rams in to my car. Lawsuit baby! And they'll have to fix the car too, just to make them suffer. Some girl in a newer accord was yappin' on her cell, pulled out infront of my buddy in his Ranger, and she completley ruined the pass. side of her car. The ranger didn't even have a scratch on it.

As for ABS, my sable is the only car with it, and it has saved me a few times. I prefer the standard power brakes though. I've just become soo accustomed to pumping the brakes on a hard stop.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
You know they need to ban blonde girls talking on cell phones, and trying to drive at the same time !!!
They need to ban everyone from this stupidity. If I'm stuck behind somebody doing way under the speed limit, or if I have to take any kind of evasive action to avoid a collision, I'd say at least 98% of the time it's because some moron is yappin' on the cell phone. Just how much attention does the almighty phone get (any phone)? Anyone ever watch a teenager react at home when the phone rings? I didn't mean to trip over the dog. Any one ever go to an auto parts store and ask for a part, only to have the clerk jump to answer the phone and yap yap while you are waiting to actually buy something?? With all this phone obsession, how can anyone think yappin' and driving can go together???

·
Registered
891 Posts
That’s a good point. There are people who can talk on the phone and do other things at the same time (in other words have the ability to multitask). But think of all the people who drop everything when they’re on the phone at home or at work, and will just sit and stair off into space while their talking on the phone, and will often pause their conversation to look something up on the computer, and even if they have a cordless phone there will often be a pause even if they only have to do something as mundane as walk over and open the door to let the dog out. It’s really no wonder that when these same people get behind the wheel and try to talk on the phone, they have the same problem of just staring off into space as they talk and drive, rather then paying any attention to the fact that they’re piloting a 2 ton machine only feet away from other two ton machines going the opposite direction.

·
Registered
997 Posts
On the odd occasion that I talk on the phone while I drive I barely pay attention to the phone, just the road. That's why if the persons telling me something long and in detail, i'll always be like "yeah sorry what were you saying" after not catching any of it. They can get pretty fed up at times. Apparently a lot of people pay more attention to the phone though.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Wow!!!...close call. You were lucky.

If you think ABS is neat (which it is), you should check out the ESP and emergency brake assist on a LX.....un-friggin'-believable.

J

·
0 Posts
Yesterday I am behind this "Porsche 911 Carrera 4S".

Speed limit is 55. He's doing 55mph, left lane. Right lane is whizzing by him, horns blaring, people honking. Mile and a half of traffic behind him. When it came time to pass him, of course I stuck my middle finger up also as I was passing by. He didn't even see it, he was yappin on the fone. Never before have I felt like ramming someone as much as him, at that moment.
Oh, and the best part is, his license plate said something like:
"TRY IT"
I believe oil companies hire people to drive slow to create traffic jams.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
JE.Electronics said:
I believe oil companies hire people to drive slow to create traffic jams.
Actually you get much better fuel economy doing 45MPH than if you go faster......65MPH is much less fuel efficient than 55MPH.

......I'm another of those ppl who pays a lot more attention to the road than the phone. 99% of the time I don't talk on the phone while driving though.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
The only times I have talked on my cell phone when driving was when I was on the hiway with no traffic, one time when it was an emergency, and one time a couple years back when we had that huge power outage (I was trying to figure out what was happening, of course I couldn't get a signal). And all those times were only a few minutes long. The only time I was on the cell for an extended period of time was when I was stopped on the hiway waiting for the accident a few miles down the road to clear (probably someone talking on their phone).

I have been in many close calls with people talking on the cell phone, I've seen other close calls, and I have seen people who are just not paying attention while talking on the cell. Talking on the cell while driving is just a bad idea.

·
Registered
566 Posts
There is nothing wrong with talking on the phone while driving or having a converstaion with your passenger(s) while driving, the problem is that too many people can't do it and drive properly ie pay attention and realize that driving is priority #1 not your converstation. The first accident I was involved in was as a passenger when two girls talking to eachother in the same car hit me and my father while we were stuck in traffic at an off ramp.

I hardly ever talk on the phone while driving, but if/when I do it's #2 after me driving/controlling my vehicle properly. When I'm talking with a passenger I'm looking ahead, and virtually never look at them when they talk some people, women especially, take offense to this but too bad I'm driving a car not sitting at a table.

As was stated by others, too many people cannot multitask, and even if they do they let driving become priority 2 while they chit chat. These, I believe, are the same people that still cannot control their vehicle properly when they aren't on the phone.

·
Registered
182 Posts
yeah abs is great. i wish there was an easy way to install that on a trep that didn't come with it.

and cell phones are the worst. I agree. But, there's a new annoyance becoming more popular. I see lots of ppl playing around with their iPods/MP3 players with the adapters for their radios or whatnot. They have to take their eyes off the road to look at the screen to chose a song or whatever they happen to be doing with the device.

actually you guys might think i'm odd, but i've mastered text messaging on my cell while driving without ever taking my eyes off the road.i memorized the letters lol and no, i don't space out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It actually makes sense being crashed into by a girl talking to another one in her car. It seems to be much more common that females look at each other when they talk, and it carries over to when they drive and talk. Not trying to be sexist, just something me and a few friends (girls and guys) noticed. A girl was talking to me and got mad and said i wasn't listening to her because I was looking in a different direction. Me and my guy friend thought it was hilarious because we never are looking at each other when we talk.... Maybe it was all those damned video games as kids.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
what happened to the the little hands free earpiece? Mine hangs from the rear view mirror, and when i get a call, i plug it in and talk thru that? leaves me 2 hands for the road

1 - 20 of 24 Posts