DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey - thought I would share my grief on this one - something everyone at one time or another has had experience with: The parking lot commando.

So I head out to my driveway this AM (which I share with the tenants (read: kids) upstairs) to put on new front license plate bracket and door edge guards on the ol' Intrepid. I put the bracket and plate on, and I make my way over to the passenger side to begin putting the guards on, and then I saw it, glaring at me from the side of my baby's rear passenger door.

A dent. A dent the size of a half-dollar on my Intrepid that I have had for less than a month. Dimpled and ugly, a blackened crater on the side of my otherwise perfect machine . . . sob!

Needless to say, my blood boiled and I wanted to kill whoever did it. Now every time I look at the passenger side that is all I see. Waaah!

Does anyone know what kind of results paintless dent removal guys get? Does it really work?

And now a rhetorical question: WHY THE HELL CAN'T PEOPLE BE MORE CAREFUL WITH THEIR CAR (OR TRUCK) DOORS?????

:mad:

·
Registered
118 Posts
It must be a bad day for us 2K red R/T guys. I noticed a scratch on my rear passenger door today. It's thin and about 8" long. Not very deep, down to the grey primer. You can't see it from more than a couple feet away, but still, I know it's there...

I'll be taking the car in for maint next month. Hopefully they can buff it out.

:(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Moparhead.. I know where your comming from. I bought my wife a 01 Intrep, beautiful dark blue. We had only had it a little over 2 weeks, when I noticed a door ding on the passenger side front door, below the side moldings. Man was I pissed..Before the Intrep, we had a 94 Spirit. Was a great car but the poor thing was beat to hell with door dings. They all came from Walmart's parking lots. The left front fender was caved in from a shopping cart. That poor car never had a chance. I now tell my wife to park the Intrep way out in the back forty of the parking lots and walk. I know a couple of people that do the paintless dent removel. If you get the right person to do the job, you'll never know the dent was there. Well...Good luck. :eek: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had just bought my white beauty and I was out by groceries on crisp saturday morning. I was on my out of the store when I finally got to my car someone had Hit my baby. They didn't hang around they left and didn't leave any information. The just left a dent three feet long along the driver side doors and and a few scratches on the rear fender. I cried and very mad. Moral of the story never park close, park as far away as possible, :(

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I think it might be a red car/wal-mart thing. I came out of wal-mart a few weeks ago, as i was walking around my car the light hit "it" just right. It looked kinda like a scrape, more of a dull discoloration about a foot long and about 3" tall on my rear passenger door :( . I was so pissed off, i was twigging out about it and this old lady was staring at me in disbelief :mad: . I know exactly what kind of car did it, but i didnt bother to look at the plate of it when i went in. It was a black 80's Camaro (the car i despise). Im guessing he didnt take kindly to my "piss on chevy" decals and decided to give my door a "rub". i saw burn out marks where he pulled out, im guessing he freaked when my alarm went off (its VERY sensitive) and took off like a mofo.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Happened to me last spring. An elongated vertical dent in the rear passenger door. To answer the original question about why people can't be carefull with their doors:

1. They aren't one of the few percent of people who actually car about their (and other people's) cars.

2. It was truly an accident.

3. It was a little kid that did it, doesn't know any better and if the parent saw it, they'd rather flea then take responsibility.

4. Someone is jealous. You have something they can't and rather then deal with it they will destroy it, seems to make them feel better or something.

5. You could have done it and didn't realize it... NOT VERY LIKELY!!!!!!!

6. People are just assholes!

:D

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
This kind of stuff seems to be more prevelant with apartment living. I hope I can get a house with a garage soon. :p

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From now on, my wife is going with me everywhere I go. I will sit as an armed guard while she shops.

I will also take #6, Alex.

It may have happened elsewhwere, but I am 90 percent sure the kid upstairs did it. There is black paint left on my car and he has a black Chevy truck. Haven't decided if and how to approach him on this one.

Thanks you guys. I knew I couldn't have been the only one who has had this kind of thing happen to them.

:)

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Originally posted by MoparHead:
It may have happened elsewhwere, but I am 90 percent sure the kid upstairs did it. There is black paint left on my car and he has a black Chevy truck. Haven't decided if and how to approach him on this one.
This same thing happened to my girlfriends 2000 black Neon. We hated our neighbors who lived above us (drove a mid eighties beat to piss light blue Ciera) and we constantly had to tell them to keep the noise down etc. One day I noticed a golf ball size door ding in the passenger side of her car while washing it. There was some light blue paint rubbed in the mark as well. Hmmm, I wonder who did it. It is a light blue ding and their space was to the right of ours and we don't get along, big mystery. Anyway, even with this much information I had to weigh the possibilitites...

1. I tell bring it too their attention, they do nothing about it and nothing else happens.

2. I get the cops involved they say I can't prove anything and nothing happens.

3. Either 1 or 2, I don't get money for it and they do something else to the car (higher possibility).

4. I do nothing, avoid the situation and move in a few months.

I had to choose #4. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like your situation is quite similar to mine.

These people seem like they are halfway decent, just loud. I really think they don't realize they're doing it half the time.

I am of the opinion that this might have been done deliberately, but, like you , I can prove nothing.

My choice of options is more than likely going to be number 4 also. Screw these people, halfway decent or not.

:)

·
Registered
147 Posts
At least you guys know who did it. Me I was stuck with a dent and scratches that ended up costing me almost 1500$. If I knew who did I would probably beat the piss out of him and then make him pay 1500$ for the damage.

6. Is the best answer to problems with society today.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Same thing with me.Wal-Mart.14 inch scratch and it's deep.Probably from a shopping cart.The dealer tried to buff it but it looks worse now that it did before.

Had the car about 2 months.$317 it will cost to fix it too.

As far as the question about why this happens my feeling is that people just really don't care.I don't believe in "accidents happen" either.If people "cared" enough to pay attention to what they were doing these types of things wouldn't happen.

I know I have never ran into someone's car with a buggy or anything else.Never opened my door into someone else's either.That's because I pay attention to what I'm doing.

Some people just seem to go around like they are the only people on the planet.You know who I'm talking about to.You see them everyday.

Blocking the entrance to stores as they have these family reunions in the entrance of the grocery store blocking everyone's path.You say "excuse me".They are oblivious to anything or anyone that is around them.

They sit in the drive through at Mcdonald's.They seem to have never been to one because they spend 10 minutes looking over the menu while the drive thru line pours out in the street.

You sit behind them at a stop sign on a street that says "no left turn" with their left turn signal on.With no traffic coming from the left and a river coming from the right.

And finally! They get out of their car and ram their door smack into the side of your car.As if "Damn! I didn't know there were other cars here."

Shew weeee! I feel better :D

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Those are the same people that piss the hell out of me when they park in the places that say "NO PARKING, Tow Away Zone"....uggg i hate that!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Latest Update: Paintless dent removal should cost only about a hundred bucks to remove the dent. I say "only," but two friggin' days ago I could have spent my hundred bucks on an L-intake or stuff for my Jeep. Or on beer if I wanted to. Point is, I'm out a c-note 'cause some dickhead is careless with their car door.

Judging from your responses, you guys KNOW what I mean. I should be happy it wasn't worse, which I am. A lot of you guys have had worse encounters with parking lot commandos. I feel your pain.

Sounds like this thread touched a nerve. You know what else I hate about these kind of people? They are the same perfectly healthy sons-of-bitches who park in handicapped spots and see nothing wrong with it.

Man, a hundred bucks' worth of beer would have been nice.

:D

·
Registered
147 Posts
100 big ones! ouchh! that will hurt the pocket book something fierce. I couldn't afford it. I would have to wate until I get out of school. I think you should say something to the people upstairs and bring it to there attention. But I don't know what these people are like. I still feel your pain 100 dollars worth of beer could be useful. :D

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I parked way the hell away from the store one day in my almost new Silverado. When I came out, there was a teal mini-van sitting right next to me... no other cars within 8 or nine spaces. I think WTF! I get over to the truck and theres a HUGE door ding complete with teal paint! It was on the drivers side, so obviously their kid got out on their passenger side and just flung the door open. Knocked my mirror askew too. I took great pleasure in keying them down to the metal and beyond. Big ol' key scratch about 3ft. long in a nice figure-8. Never even felt bad about that one.

·
Registered
530 Posts
hey moparhead I was in plymouth the other day with a buddy in that little internet coffee shop in the center and had some brews in that place across the street with the spiral stairs to the second floor and played some pool. (forgot the name) :D

[ November 24, 2001: Message edited by: bat078 ]

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I live less than a mile from there. Sounds like you went to the BBC. It was a little place, right? I used to go there a lot - you should see the drunks coming down the stairs after a few - woo hoo!

Back to the dent situation - I think my neighbor is avoiding me - his truck is now getting parked in the street and I haven't seen him for four days now.

I am thinking that the sweetest revenge (and I did think about a hammer to the side of his vehicle) will be through the wallet. I would love to follow RapidTransit's cue, but being that they live in the same building . . . So I am going to approach him and see if he confesses.

More to follow!

Best,
Vinny :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts