DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, that thread is closed, but i wanted to know if the guy that did the swap can relist the things that he did. I dont have an intrepid right now but that was some good info to know as well as a good reference on where to start if i do get a intrep and what to do.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, and the guy that im talking about is you. I didnt remember the name of the thread or the name of the member, but now that i see your name and the thread title its all coming back to me :)

I just figured it'd be good to have it stickied or something just in case someone does decide to do it again one day.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
ummm......

Here:
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48861

here:
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66642

here:
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33954

here:
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48853

here:
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48946

and on and on........

just do a search, then you just have to sift throught the ......ahem.......narratives.......for the info. Then get out there and experiment a little.

Don't expect a how to until it gets done reliably by some one who makes some quantifyable gains and has the time to write it up.I wouldn't hold my breath either if I were you. This isn't like installing an otis or mirrors, it's time consuming and expensive. The two biggest killers of projects like these.

Cheers

BJ:anon:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just thought that the last thread had a few points that were worth mentioning, i understand that there might've been other threads on this but i cant believe no one has made a sticky on this yet. I was on another board previously (v6z24.com) and when they found out that they could hybrid their 2.8/3.1 engines with the 3100/3400 they basically instantly stickied it. I guess priorities are different here.

And i have experimented, however i dont have a intrep, but i do have the transverse 3.3 in my dynasty. Previously with my 3.1 94 cavalier i tore it all the way down to the block and put it all back together (it got junked due to piston slap; i didnt have the money at the time to fix it, and the strut towers were rusting). With my dynasty i've done plenty of research at the junkyard to see what kind of things will work, what looks close, and what wont work without major modification. So just a FYI, im not one to just look at the text, i will eventually go out there and get my hands dirty; my whole spring vacation i havent had one minute where my hands or fingernails didnt have some kind of dirt/grime under them.

Anyway, good luck for anyone planning/in the process of doing this hybrid build up. It'd be nice to see what gains you'd get from it and if it works easily. Intrepids have always caught my eye, maybe one day i'll get one.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
There is his orignal thread that i have kept, i shortned it down but i kept most of the important parts of what he did. Mainly so of the differences that you have to tke care of, as well as just a coupel other things that he did and figured out along the way. Stll lots of useful info his original thread. And i am sure as others persue this project more useful info will also be added. IMO if you pull off the head swap, it will net you around 20 hp, maybe 25 hp max. So it would take you from around 214 to pushing 240hp but i think it would be more likely to hit 230's by doing the head swap. If ya add a intake and maybe upgrade your exahust, you would be closer up to 240 but i think you would just be in the solid 230's

·
Registered
301 Posts
One of the most expensive aspects to the heads swap is all the gaskets you'd need to do it, you can get cheap cylinder heads at a upullit yard (if you can find them) but expect to drop a good hundred plus just in gaskets, which in many cases can be twice or more the cost of the cyl heads to begin with!

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
well its true gaskets are expensive, but are just part of the process. And its not all that easy finding 3.5 2nd gen heads let alone 2nd gen 3.5 HO heads etc. You can get the gaskets for the heads up for around $60 or so the last time i did it, $200 gets you a total gasket kit from what i remember as well

·
Registered
152 Posts
mmm...sounds sexy, if it ends up being worth the time.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
i'll let ya know in a couple months :p

·
Registered
88 Posts
Head Gaskets for a Gen 1 are 21.40each. Most of the gaskets are cheapo like the thermostat housing, lower and upper Intake...not a big deal. Just re-use valve cover gaskets if they're in good shape. For GOD SAKE! Stop talking yourself out of the tough things. This is not that tough or expensive. Just have to be a little mechanically inclined, with some hand tools, and the parts. The heads are the most expensive part of the swap. I got mine for 150bucks on ebay. Plus shipping. I think that was 100 bucks. Just go out and do it. Or wait for me to finish mine in 14 days and come see it work first if you must.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Or wait for me to finish mine in 14 days and come see it work first if you must.

so your going for round 2? Thought you had sold it all? But either way hope it goes well and keep us updated

·
9,861 Posts
As I said in the most recent thread, the spot where the 1G lower and 2G fuel rail hit is the main issue. The rail has to be modified, or you need to take a big chunk (bigger then I use to think) out of the lower intake.

I actually tried to make the 1G lower intake work on my 2G block. I grinded away at that lower intake manifold only to find that I would litterally have to cut it down like 1" with a real grinder. Just using the 2G stuff was easier for me.

Read my old reply here:
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48853

Or, you can get your hands on a 1G lower, find a new spot for your intake temp sensor, and drill and tap new holes for the 1G plenum.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Modifyiing the 2g rail for fitment on the 1g lower intake was automatic when altering the rail for use in a return system/AFPR. The Y is completely cut out leaving an 1.5" on one end, and like 3.5" one the feed end. I also drilled the plugs out of the ends of the the two branches, flipped the rail 180deg and mounted it. To finish it off I clamped an 8" length of 3/8's fuel inj. line onto what is now front end of the rail looping the 2 formerly plugged ends together.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts