DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. At night (11:30 PM) coming home from work. I pull onto the highway and someone in front of me guns it. I figure, what the 'ell. Now the road isn't all that well-lit and I thought it was some old junky import or something. No, it was a Mustang with this body type:

All I could read was the "Mustang" in the back bumper, nothing else that I could see. No, I don't know if there was an air intake.

Ok, so the first little blimp in speed we got up to around 100 or so before we hit traffic. I started behind him and that's where I finished. We went through some traffic and got to another gap. Went even for a few seconds and then we took off. He pulled ahead slightly up until, oh, 100 or so. After that I made up the distance and pulled ahead. By that time we reached the next spot of traffic and had to slow down lest we rear-end someone at 120 MPH.

For those who are wondering, it's a 2001 R/T (made in the year 2000, I will NEVER understand car model year naming conventions...) and I can only approximate 115 to 120 MPH because I didn't look at the speedometer--only the road so as to avoid getting killed (hey, I'm insecure at 100+ MPH).

I have hit 115+ before so there's no limiter at that point. I have Michellin V-rated tires--I checked after reading here about the limiters based on tire rating.

BTW, how does it feel when the limiter kicks in? Would I just stop accelerating, or would I REALLY know it?

Before the guy pulled off the highway I tried to get more info on what it is but since I'm a car ignoramus all I know is it's some 80's Mustang. Still made me happy, though. :)

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Good kill. R/T`s do`nt have limiters unless they are the Motor sports ones with the S rated goodyear tires. I raced a 5.0 Mustang last fall wide open for 2 miles. The speedo was about 3 inches past a 120mph. Guess i was going around 150mph. In the Navy i was a Admirals duty driver in Germany. And was trained by the US Secret Service. So i am a good judge of speed. My R/T is moded. If you do have a limiter on your car you will know it. You will leave teeth marks on the dash. The cars halts really hard.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts