DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I've read some stuff on the 'big 3' on car audio forums and most people say that it is good to do to help the electrical system.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Def good, I compete in the Iasca setup, my blazer had a 180amp alt, ran 0 gauge off that, new ground, it def. helps the system, same thing with my girls intrepid, 0 ga to everything, my friend has a colt we use in stock 3, he had 1 memphis 1000.1 off of 4ga, lights would dimm at half volume, ran 2 runs of 0ga to everything, put in a second 1000.1, and at comp volume his voltage doesnt drop below 13.2, I recommend it for any system, bigger wire only helps... don't wanna smoke your stock grounds...

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Any small gauge wire between the alternator and your amplifier will create a restriction in current flow. So to maximize that current flow you have to increase the gauge. However, if you run your amplifier feed directly from the alternator you don't have to worry about upgrading othe wires in the system since you drawing directly from the source. The only down side to upgrading the feed from the alt to the battery is that you lose the built-in safety of the fusable link...

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
you can't put a fuse in the line from the alt?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Definitly good to do!
As soon as I do my setup I am bc I am gonna need every bit of power I can squeeze!
My setup will be:

Big # Upgrade with 4awg till I get more 0awg.
2nd dry cell bat with another cap running thru a 200amp Isolator
All 0awg wire
ran to a power hungry US Amps VLX-400 ([email protected] draws 400amps)
Bigger Alt
no for sure on subs thinking 3 15type Rs
4 channel for highs
clarion eq hooked to stock deck
deciding on T.Vs still

Thats all of the top of my head..

But forsure upgrade for the little money it costs well worth it!!

Jay

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Archael said:
you can't put a fuse in the line from the alt?
Sure, but fuse holders for this gauge wire are pretty significant in size and you'll run out of space pretty quickly. There's also a big difference between a fusable link and a fuse. A link will take large spikes without blowing while a fuse typically will not. But yes, you can put a fuse on there to protect things...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, I ran this idea past a shop owner nearby and he says he can do this for me, but thinks I should go 4 guage for the 'big 3'.

He doesn't see the point of 0 guage for the 'big 3' because he says they'll be no difference.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
bigger is better. If you can get 0 guage then get it while he's doing it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i'm eventually going to get another 10" sub, when i can afford it, and i'll have 2 amplifiers totaling in about 1500 watts rms, would i be able to run 0/1 gauge from the battery to a distribution block then use 4 gauge to go to amps? or do i ahve to take the 0/1 gauge off the alternator for better results?

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
dan9g said:
ok, I ran this idea past a shop owner nearby and he says he can do this for me, but thinks I should go 4 guage for the 'big 3'.

He doesn't see the point of 0 guage for the 'big 3' because he says they'll be no difference.

What do you guys think?
Because the runs are shorter than the big run to the back, 4AWG might do it for you. However, the OEM stuff is either 4AWG or 6AWG so you really won't be upgrading much. The OEM ground from battery should be 2AWG as well, so 4AWG would be a downgrade. For the difference in cost and for what you can get the stuff online for, why not just go 1/0AWG???

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Granycarwitthump1994 said:
i'm eventually going to get another 10" sub, when i can afford it, and i'll have 2 amplifiers totaling in about 1500 watts rms, would i be able to run 0/1 gauge from the battery to a distribution block then use 4 gauge to go to amps? or do i ahve to take the 0/1 gauge off the alternator for better results?
I would run it straight off the alternator. Then you don't have to worry about any restrictions in the path...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dbaudiopro said:
Sure, but fuse holders for this gauge wire are pretty significant in size and you'll run out of space pretty quickly. There's also a big difference between a fusable link and a fuse. A link will take large spikes without blowing while a fuse typically will not. But yes, you can put a fuse on there to protect things...

can I get 0 guage wire WITH a fusable link in it anywhere? to be able to upgrade the wire from the alternator to the battery?

any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
887 Posts
eh. just run New wires along with original ones. Or do what db says and just go amp to alt :sleeping:

·
Registered
126 Posts
would an isolator help the system? it would be a good safty thing

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
What exactly is an isolator going to do in this situation? An isolator is for keeping two batteries isolated so that if you run the aux battery down, you won't run down your main battery. But allows them to both be connected to the alternator when the vehicle is running so both will charge...

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
dan9g said:
can I get 0 guage wire WITH a fusable link in it anywhere? to be able to upgrade the wire from the alternator to the battery?

any help is greatly appreciated!
Nope. But like others have said you could put a fuse in line if you wanted to. I would go with 300A so you don't have a restriction. Basically a fusable link is just a smaller gauge wire designed to burn up if too much current is drawn. It's kind of like inserting a 4" pice of 8AWG in line with your 1/0AWG...

·
Registered
126 Posts
well if u just make ur subs "the battery" work with me hear, then u can send all the power u want to ur subs, without ever draining the car battery itsself

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
What? Dude, put down the crack pipe, breath in some clean air and return to reality. WTF are you talking about???

·
Registered
887 Posts
dbaudiopro said:
What? Dude, put down the crack pipe, breath in some clean air and return to reality. WTF are you talking about???

ahaha I love db

·
Registered
126 Posts
haha sorry, sub amp, not subs. an isolator is used for 2 sepearte batteries, but it doesnt have to be right? instead of buying another battery or u plan to, buying an isolator, runing one wire from the isolator to the starting battery, then run another wire back to a distrobution block, then to ur system? and then add a battery in when u get money, would that work. i appreciate ur funny critisisms!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts