DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got my rotors turned the other day, because they were warped to hell. So I was talking with the mechanic that was doing it and I asked him why they warp like that, he said due to the fact that the mopar rotors on our cars are cheap, said also when washing the car do not spray water on them. I was surprised with the water thing, so I think Im going to lay off with that and have to spend more time washing the wheels carefully.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Unless you have just done some heavy and prolonged braking, putting water on the rotors won't warp them. If you have done some heavy and prolonged braking, the rotors will heat up. Water, of course, will cool the rotors down. So I can see how that could cause some warping. There are many factors that can cause warping. Cheap rotors, cheap pads, something wrong with your calipers or other features of the braking system.

I just had my pads and rotors replaced a week or so ago. I had even pad wear and my rotors don't appear to be warped.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Rapid heat cycling is what causes warped rotors, aggravated by manufacturers using rotors that probably aren't really thick enough to withstand hard use.

It's very difficult to prevent warping in a round flat device like a rotor when you're subjecting it to repeated hot/cold temperature cycling -- getting it hot then splashing it through some water, etc. And with the manufcaturers wanting to reduce unsprung weight to improve ride quality, they want to use lighter and thinner rotors. Of course lighter and thinner rotors are also cheaper. :\

-- Marcus

·
Registered
407 Posts
The first time I had to get brake work done, I wound up replacing both front rotors at 30,000 miles. I will admit that I did ride the brakes hard and it was the constant rapid heating and cooling effect that warped them. I'm riding these easier and so far they are holding up quite nicely.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
now Im taking it easy on them, I will see in about half a year if the warping comes back, all I really want out of the turned rotors is 6 months, I do not expect more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts