DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I meant to have an image to include with this, but I don't seem to have one. I might update the post later with a photo...

The RFI Module, located on the cooling fan module seems to be a fairly common failure point, particularly on the first gen. I recently had a fault show up on my 94. It's not a big deal though.

Now, you can't seem to purchase the RFI module separately from the cooling fans anymore. Every online store I found was showing the part as out of production and unavailable.

You don't have to replace it if it goes bad though. For one thing, it's extremely simple. It contains two polyester film capacitors, 470uf, 250v. They're arranged across both circuits. From the ground, to the low speed and high speed fan positive wires.

In my RFI module, neither capacitor had failed. I actually found my ground connection at the RFI module and the vehicle harness had burned up. There was damage to both the module and the harness plug on the ground pin but the positive pins were untouched.

Since all the wires, including the ground, pass right through the RFI module uninterrupted, with only a couple capacitors bridging the wires, and since the circuits work by switching B+ at the PDC through two relays, it doesn't alter the function of the circuit at all to hard-wire a new ground directly to the sub-harness on the fan module. Just spice in some difficultly l sufficiently heavy stranded copper wire, preferably with black insulation, to the black wire where it exits the RFI Module for the (I think) passenger side fan, and connect this to a convenient ground, or, better, directly to the negative battery terminal. Take care to zip tie this bypass out of the way of the accessory drive and you're back in business. It doesn't matter where the fans are grounded as long as you have good continuity though the module. You can check with a multimeter to be sure tm there isn't an open circuit inside the module. I'm betting most failures people are encountering with these modules is at the harness connection on the ground pin since the ground connection carries all the current for both fans running simultaneously.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts