DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I just learned that aftermarket headlights (not true HID's) will not help our problem of complete and total night-blindness. What can we do? Anyone have any ideas?

I've heard buying new housing may help a little, just cause they won't be all gunked up. But this won't do a lot.

Are there any ways we can improve on our housing? Anyone have any connections in this field of work?

On another note, our headlamp housing is poor, I heard sometjing about 25-30%? (ouch) "efficiency." What about the foglight housing?

I'v thought about mounting some new bulbs in/on the plastic molding on the front of the car, and supposedly this will give a better beam. Anyone looked into this?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
DJNRG has done that, he mounted 100 WATT driving lights on the top of the middle grill bar on his first gen, he says it helps out alot.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Aim your headlights the way it says to in the Chiltons or Haynes repair manuals. Mine work perfectly now

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hehe, that would require me to BUY a Chiltons or Haynes repair manual.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
You could always buy an HID conversion kit to the tune of $500-1000 (US). I always wondered how well those conversion kits work anyhow.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Knightmare_3.5 said:
Hehe, that would require me to BUY a Chiltons or Haynes repair manual.
I get mine from my local library

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From the library eh? THat would require me to steal a book from the library... or get a library card... hmmm, which would be easier...

If you could hook me up with that Wutang, I would be forever in your debt. Well, maybe not forever...

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Wutang, I noticed that you have upgraded to better bulbs. What kind of changes have you noticed?

I also nuticed that you have some little light fixtures on your front grille. What are these, and do they help???

Thanks in advance for the help you can give

·
Registered
104 Posts
Saw Sylvania Silverstar bulbs at Auto Zone today for $24.95 each. These have been for sale in Europe for some time and the Europeans KNOW what good lights are all about.
The Silverstars I saw were made in the good ole U.S. of A. rather than Korea where the blue junk bulbs come from.

http://www.sylvania.com/auto/silverstar.htm

But, this still won't do anything about the poor optics design of the housings we're stuck with.

-steve

·
Registered
587 Posts
I upgraded my headlights to eaglite xenons, but didnt notice much difference. My headlight fixtures/lenses are all gummed up, so I might take them apart, or purchase new ones. I did notice the fog lights got brighter with the xenons, but the lighting still sucks. Soooo, I went out and got some 4" round headlight housings and put some 100W xenon lights in them, with all the appropriate wiring and relays. I can actually see now, and see well! Since they are 100W bulbs, I have them wired to my high beams, so my lows still suck. I think I am gonna get some more aftermarket housings and put some 55W xenon bulbs in them, and run them when the lows are on.

·
Registered
167 Posts
housing...

I remember that in 1996 or 1997 they said that they redesigned the headlamp housing for better beam pattern. I was planning on upgrading for a while, but never got around to it. I'm not sure if they're much better. It'd be nice to see a comparison of early one's to later ones. If they did update it, I'd assume that they now use the modern ones when they replace old ones, so if anyone has had to replace a headlamp assembly, maybe they would have noticed.
As far as HID lights are concerned, I'm pretty sure we can't do them. The intrepid's lights use a dual filament bulb. HIDs can't do that. Thats why cars with HID lights always have different lamps for high and low beams. If you put the HID bulb in (and the neccessary electronic balast to make it work) I think you would have either high beam or low beam all the time (or maybe both) and no ability to switch. If you just had low beams, and then added some driving lights in the grill, it might be cool.
I currently have HIDs on two of my cars, and it makes the rest of them feel like they have candles up front. The Intrepid is the worst of the bunch. I'd love to come up with a reasonable solution.

Scott

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I'm not sure just how bad the earlier ones are, but my '96 headlights really suck. Upgrading to '96 or '97 won't do much I don't think.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am going to buy new headlamps, mine are not only broke, but the lense itself is foggy.. almost looks as if someone took steelwool to it. I thought it was jsut dirty so i took it apart and scrubbed it out. it helped just alittle bit, but not enough. I found a site to get them for around 55 a peice. It seems to be worth it to me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
On my 94 ES I installed those 'blue' xeon bulbs. A few months later they melted the harnesses, now im back to the stock bulbs and have to replace $40 harnesses :mad:

A tech at the local dealership said that applying dielectic grease to all the electical contacts would prevent this, but im not convinced.

Is there even the smallest chance that a 2nd gen headlight assembly would fist 1st gen?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I may have a semi-fix for you guys... i am going to try it out on my car and let you know. i am not sure of the specs on all treps... but i doubt there will be much difference. if anyone has questions, feel free...

on my 97 trep with a 3.3l... i have a stock 90 amp alternator. i am going to replace this with a stocker, i do not know which car it is from, but i will get a partnumber that you can reference at any part store. the replacement will put out 120 amps. not only that, but it is going to have a smaller pully, probably good for a horse or two. as soon as i do this, (hoeful next week.) i will let you know the results. if anyone has tried this before however, i would love to hear some feedback.

I work at one of the largest remanufaturers in the us for starters and alternators, and of course, we do not sell to the public, but i do have a little knowledge at my disposal. i would be happy to help out.:bigsmile:

·
Registered
38 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts