DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was playing around with #2 and #3 yesterday a bit

Changed the oil on number two and changed the head light switch, still no low beams, I think I may need to change out the column switch. If I can find instructions here I will swap them between cars and see if thats the issue before I buy a new switch.

This is the questionable car (I know it needs a water pump, has an idle issue and now maybe brakes) So I checked and this car has a new IAC valve in it so I moved along to the EGR valve. The car idles really roughly (about 500 RPM) but runs well at speed. So I thought I'd plug the EGR, I disconnected the tubes from the manifod and plugged the manifild, aslo discinnected the vac line from the valve and plugged buth ends. When I started the car up it ran fine for a couple minutes (Idle around 900 RPM) and then it shot up to like 2000 RPM. So I'm not sure if I plugged the EGR properly, I'll have to check. While it was out I thought I'd take it for a drive and now the antilock brakes are going off nearly every time I apply the brake and the braking is terrible. I need to get an Idea of whats wrong with this car before I put any money into it, I'm afraid I will end up spending too much to fix this one.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
just checked out the pics of the GTX...nice ride. Is car#3 giving any fault codes? Is #3 a 3.3 or 3.5, if a 3.3 water pumps and brakes are relatively cheap fixes. I would start with codes, could be a intake leak for the high idle.

good luck

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I changed the stance of the GTX a bit and its now has a 500" stroker. I'll have to post some newer pictures.

#3 is a 3.5L and only has an intermitant code, hasen't lasted long enough to read. I was hoping I could inactivate the EGR to eliminate that from the suspect list but so far I haven't had any sucess.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
#3 I know it's not a foolproof test but I sprayed starting fluid around the base of the manifold, no change. Manifold gaskets are cheap though so maybe I will just change them when I get a chance.

#2 I got the low beams working on number two so I pulled the lenses and cleaned them up, its officially in good working order now.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
#3 I made block off plates to go between the EGR tubes and the intake (took about 10 minutes) tonight and when I started the car the idle immediatly went to 800 and was solid as a rock, so I know I have a bad EGR.

So now I need to decide if the car is worth a water pump and an EGR valve and sealing a rim leak. I also think I issue with the brakes but I'll create a different post

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heres an update on #3

Waterpump is in the car. Cleared the EGR code and it has NOT coming back after a couple hard drives. So apparently you can block the EGR valve and pass emmisions on these cars.

Last problem on this on is the brake issue, see my other thread

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.