DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the long awaited pix of Ye Olde Intrepid.

Not sure bout this pix thing ... :smileyvault-newhere ... and I have work after work Friday, so more may be posted on the weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh what the hey ... here's some more ...

The CHECK ENGINE light has been glowing for 2 years. It passed E Check anyway because Helpful Mechanic cleared the codes for me so they did a tailpipe test and it PASSED.

Window and door switches. GIRL POWER!

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure how the top got damaged. Her previous owner was a railroad man and drove her all over Ohio.

He was nicer to her than I've been. He treated her to thousands in repairs, including a tranny rebuild, and kept her in a garage. I got my repairs on the cheap, put used tires on her and kept her outside.

Attachments

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
My 96 LHS (still miss that thing) came from Akron - and was similarly free of rust. For a car that age, in this part of the country... I'd say it's in great shape! :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Cutlass was only 5 years older and had "rust in places that shouldn't have rust." Helpful Mechanic put in a new GAS TANK before frame problems sent her to the junkyard in the sky. Haven't heard any complaints like that about this one. The driver's side rust is the first I've seen in 2+ years.

I'm not worried about the Check Engine light. The codes were indicating something but I'm drawing a blank on what. I know it wasn't an 02 sensor. I was about to go to a Dodge dealer when the car passed E-Check. So this little light of mine? I'm gonna let it shine!

Hey, guess what? Last year, the cruise quit working for no apparent reason. I sulked about it for a week before deciding it wasn't worth fixing. Well, I tried it today and what do you know? It WORKED! My guess is some fuse came loose and got put back in when New Mechanic was doing other things. My drive to work is only 17 miles but almost all highway, and it's really nice not to have to mess with the gas pedal for 10 miles every morning.

It takes so little to make me happy. I have such low expectations!

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
For fun, it'd be interesting to see what the light is on for - you can do the "key dance" and get the light to blink at you in code...

With the car not running, turn the key from off, to on, to off, to on (not cranking or starting)... then just leave it alone. Eventually the other lights will go out on the dash, and the check engine light will also go out. Just when you think it didn't work, it will start blinking. It will blink 2 digit codes, one digit at a time. Blink, Blink Blink. Then pause. That is 12. Then you will get some other blinks, and then you'll get Blink Blink Blink Blink Blink, Blink Blink Blink Blink Blink. That is 55. 12 is what most codes start with (some don't display 12 first but very rare, and 55 means "end of codes."

The reason for the check engine light may be causing low fuel mileage. Up to you to do it or not, but it is something simple to check out and is $free$.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That sounds complicated. I'm not sure those add up to 12 and 55 in my mind! Nephew has the same tester that Auto Zone has.

I took it to Auto Zone. Yep, I think they said EGR. Most of the time the light glows. Sometimes it doesn't. And fuel economy is actually not bad. Helpful Mechanic told me at the time that this code can mean a lot of things and you can spend $100 on a part and still not have it solve the problem. Since Ohio's E-Check is only every 2 years, I've got a while to work it out. Tranny cooler lines, upper radiator hose and transmission fluid changed ... those are my priorities at the moment.

Keep in mind, you're talking to a cheap chick who buys her tires new and skimps on oil changes. Every 3 months maybe, but sure as heck not every 3,000 miles. But I do have ambitious plans to put "a car payment a month" into the bank. At least SOME of that will go into this preventative maintenance stuff. If major things don't happen first, which they always do.

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
My LHS had an intermittent EGR code (42, IIRC) - never noticed any problems; sometimes I'd disconnect the battery to make it go away, sometimes it'd go away on its own. It had a bunch of miles, probably EGR was a bit clogged with schmutz.

Only advice I would give is to do the oil change with some regularity - these motors will go for a loooong time. :D Not difficult on these cars either - have Nephew do it for you on the cheap.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh yeah, I think nephew would be uber excited if I offered to give him $25 in cash rather than give $40+ to Jiffy Lube where he works!

A month ago I was seriously considering unloading her. I had people telling me I had a bad head gasket! Liars!

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Not sure how the top got damaged. Her previous owner was a railroad man and drove her all over Ohio.

He was nicer to her than I've been. He treated her to thousands in repairs, including a tranny rebuild, and kept her in a garage. I got my repairs on the cheap, put used tires on her and kept her outside.
I've got the same problem on my top, but you don't seem to have excessive clear-coat pulling up on your hood, I think that you can see it in my sig, front view, passenger's side.

What is going on with that passengers headlamp on your car?

-95Intrepid99Kid

1 - 20 of 41 Posts