DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was up in LA over the weekend and did not notice the engine temp going up until too late, I pegged the needle on H and the idiot light came on., I pulled over right away, when I opened the hood I noticed the fans were not running, and there is some terrible noise coming from the left side of the engine. We had it towed to a DODGE dealer and got a rental car for the ride home. When I talked to the guy today, he said when they opened the hood and saw the polished intake that he knew I was going to fix what ever was wrong, he remarked that he sees a lot of first gen Intrepids but none as clean as mine. He said it will probably be a week before I get it back, good thing I have four cars.

Charles

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
*starts crying*
man that is some bad news.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dabirdzR/T said:
that makes me wanna cry.

hope it gets fixed like new!!

My wife is was saying how sorry she was that my baby is broken, but don't worry we will get it fixed, it is not as devastating as when we were younger and only had one car and no money.

But I still looked like this :crying:

Charles

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Hopefully it'll come back stronger than ever ;)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Used engines are fairly reasonable just in case the worst happened..... Just take the basic block and heads, clean em up and bolt on the shiny bits. :D

I almost pegged mine when the timing belt slipped on the pump driving side. Thank god for all aluminum and Mobil 1..... It's been 20K since that incident. Damn previous owner had a pump fail but they DID NOT change the belt..... which led to its early failure in the boondocks!

Thank god it didn't snap! You first gen guys can snap a timing belt and not rebuild your heads, not the case on 2nd gen! :eek6:

The needle got all the way up to, but not fully into the red tick mark..... no idiot light but it was close!

You might as well service the entire cooling system; get that coolant flushed and inspect the pump and timing belt. New hoses if they are more than 5 years old just to be safe. They are gonna be in there anyway.....

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
MathWiz said:
well only a water pump, and I am having them change the timing belt and tensioner $782. Could have been much worse.

Charles
Not bad, better than a new engine. Good to hear!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Good to hear it is all good. That price is a little to crazy for me though haha. From what it sounded like it didn't sound to big of a deal really. I heard the similar noises when my dads LHS did the same thing.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts