DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... has landed in my living room. :) I bought one at Sears yesterday. It was on sale for under $1000, so I bit. I've been looking at getting into the HDTV game for some time, and a 42" TV with as nice of a picture as this one's got.. for under $1000.. I couldn't pass it up.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
508 Posts
Very nice! My wife and I bit the bullet too about a month ago and bought a Toshiba 50 inch DLP 50HM67 HDTV. Man what a difference in quality of picture! Enjoy your set!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks :) It's quite a difference from the old 27" CRT TV I've been using for the past 6 years!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,707 Posts
paulnsuzieque said:
Very nice! My wife and I bit the bullet too about a month ago and bought a Toshiba 50 inch DLP 50HM67 HDTV. Man what a difference in quality of picture! Enjoy your set!
I've had my 56" Samsung DLP for 3 years as of Labor Day and the original bulb is still going strong. The thing gets several hours of use every day, so it will be a good long while til you have to replace it. The rest of the DLP sets are bulletproof. You got 1080p so it will improve even more if you venture into bluray or HD-DVD. Current HDTV is still 1080i, which is where my set's resolution is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
715 Posts
if it really matters to you, venture into HD DVD or Blu-Ray or even a good upscaling dvd player (OPPO makes an excellent player) with HDMI. HD-DVD offers the lowest price players right now. you can find many good used deals on www.avsforum.com. i own the Toshiba HD XA2 along with a projector and 110" screen. the pic quality is absolutely amazing. you won't believe the difference between standard def vs. hi def. congrats on the purchase!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,188 Posts
Dodgaholic said:
No, but you do need an HD source.
Yeah. HD is very obviously different from SD. If it isn't, something is wrong.

We have a 60" SXRD 1080p Sony Grand Wega projection and a 46" Samsung 1080p LCD. I love HD!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
715 Posts
oh, and don't buy into "you need high priced cables (monster, etc) for best pic quality." check out monoprice.com or riteAV.com for low priced quality cabling/accessories. no affiliation, just have purchased from both and their prices are best around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I looked at HDMI cables online.. found 6-footers for $7-8. (thank you, pricewatch.com)

I never bought into the gold-plated "premium" stuff with component and composite cables either.. it's a rip-off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm very pleased with regular DVD on this new TV, although I did hook it up with component cables and turned on the player's progressive scan feature.. something I couldn't do with the old TV because it didn't have component ports, just the standard yellow/red/white composite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Dodgaholic said:
I've had my 56" Samsung DLP for 3 years as of Labor Day and the original bulb is still going strong. The thing gets several hours of use every day, so it will be a good long while til you have to replace it. The rest of the DLP sets are bulletproof. You got 1080p so it will improve even more if you venture into bluray or HD-DVD. Current HDTV is still 1080i, which is where my set's resolution is.
I thought quite a bit about the 1080p vs 1080i thing as I was researching HDTVs and plasma vs LCD, etc. and the choices in the price range I was willing to pay were between a smaller 1080p LCD (32-37") and the TV I bought, which is a 720p/1080i unit. Given how much I liked the picture quality of this one (deeper blacks, for example).. and the fact that it was on sale.. I'm pretty sure I made the right decision.

If something vastly better comes along, hey.. that's great. I'm not heavily invested in this one ($900-some).. unlike some who get the biggest and the best, pay a premium (remember when plasmas were $4-5K?!?), and then kick themselves when the same TV drops in price 50% a year later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,935 Posts
I got the Comcast HDTV package and like I said I don't see a difference but oh well the TV was a gift and it is mostly used as a computer monitor for games for my PC or 360. I remember when my old CRT 42inch was like 2 grand and now if you can find it they run for about 500.

I hate how HDTVs keep getting different resolutions. Makes it harder for people to buy a TV, even computer/tech geeks like me to pick one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,707 Posts
TCPMeta said:
I got the Comcast HDTV package and like I said I don't see a difference but oh well the TV was a gift and it is mostly used as a computer monitor for games for my PC or 360. I remember when my old CRT 42inch was like 2 grand and now if you can find it they run for about 500.

I hate how HDTVs keep getting different resolutions. Makes it harder for people to buy a TV, even computer/tech geeks like me to pick one.
They are just getting higher resolutions. It doesn't mean they won't play the lower resolutions signals.

Maybe you are not looking at the HD channels on your system. Check you channel list to see which channel Discovery HD theater is. If you can't see the difference there, you really do have bad vision, or your TV isn't reall HD. Not all plasma's or widescreens are HD. Some older ones are SDTV's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,100 Posts
00ChryslerIntrepid said:
If something vastly better comes along, hey.. that's great. I'm not heavily invested in this one ($900-some).. unlike some who get the biggest and the best, pay a premium (remember when plasmas were $4-5K?!?), and then kick themselves when the same TV drops in price 50% a year later.
That's why I bought my 51" Hitachi Rear Projection HDTV. $850, it's only 21" deep, and has great picture quality. It's also self-calibrating too :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,083 Posts
We went with a 37" Olevia LCD537h , good quality paid $768 shipped to my front door, and it fits in the TV armoire that my parents paid good money for when we had the 32" TV in it(now in my bedroom) only downside is it takes like 10-12 seconds for the LCD to actually light up after hitting the power button
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top