DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching a commerical where they were selling "The Tornado" gas saving something something. It's a small non-spinning fan you put into the intake. They say it could add 5 to 20hp and boost your gas mileage. Anyone here try it yet?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
No. And I wouldn't recommend it. It is a gimmic. It doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I just got one last week, now I changed to a K&N filter and removed the air flow restrictor at the same time, I don't know which did what, but I have more power and I am getting better gas mileage.

Charles

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
it was the K&N. if you want more power and better fuel atomization ditch the tornado and get a set of throttle body spacers.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Originally posted by 97 sport platinum:
it was the K&N. if you want more power and better fuel atomization ditch the tornado and get a set of throttle body spacers.
but make sure yours doesnt idle at 2500RPM ;)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sorry for the poor attitude about it but screw that Tornado thing, I thought i'd give it a try being that I am an open person and decided to give it try. First, it was a ***** to get into the intake tube then it almost cut my finger off. They tell you to wear gloves for protection but they also act like it just slips in so easily so I didn't bother. I noticed a strange few second air flow noise upon engine startup. The Tornado I received didn't even look as areodynamic and as nice as the one on the commercial. It also had a hole in the center which would seem to disrupt the vortex action. I didn't have time to return it within the 30 days so they got me. It's very intresting I will admit but really not worth it, I was hoping it would do something near that great.

Later guys,
MoparPerformance :cool:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Airflow through the accordian tube intake is not smooth in the first place. All those ridges create a turbulent flow. The tornado thingy doesnt change anything.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
unfortunately, the spacers seem to be only for 1st gen 3.5. :(

i am not sure exactly how much power i gained because it has been snowing and i end up spinning the tires thru 3rd if i goose it. i did one run onto the interstate from a near stop and it was a lot quicker to get thru the lower half of the RPM band. based on driving with the spacers and from what corey has told me these parts probably donate 4 to 6hp to the 3.5L. i will post gas mileage results when i get them.

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: 97 sport platinum ]

·
Registered
560 Posts
i really enjoyed that tornado tv ad... they put a 94-96 model chevy impala on the dyno to show the before and after HP gains with the tornado thingie...i think it jumped from 200-220 hp or something, but that was due to the fact that (with the tornado) they revved the car higher and had the wheels travelling 10 mph faster...(well, i guess anythings funny at 5:12 am on a monday mornign)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts