DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have Marco the Bullet (my' 96 3.5L Intrepid) for a little over 4 years and 9 months. Got him for 2000 dollars back in 2007 @ 96,000 miles. I'm now at 168500 miles on the car and it seems that there always something new to fix. (Now my engine mount bushings are done - I'm almost scared that I'm gonna hit a bump and everything will done from there)

I brought an '95 3.3L Intrepid (named her Stella) with 82100 miles on it for 1000 dollars. I've made some appropriate changes (battery, stereo head) but can't get past that she only has 82,100. Plus, the 3.5L engine sound so good, while 3.3L not so much. It's pretty much too late now, but did I do the right thing?

·
Registered
452 Posts
id call that a good deal theirs many options you can do with that, you could search for a while and find a good 3.5 then throw that in for a cheap $500, or a many of other things if you choose or need to.

hell if it was me i would drive the 3.5 till she blows or is damn close :sneaky2: then drive the 3.3 and start a big ol project of making a 4.0 out of the 3.5 then you can throw in the engine in either car and mix and match em to customize the look... itd likly take me 2x as long as the other guys but i would enjoy the hell out of it

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4.0L Really?

Someone on this site made a 4.0L engine for the Intrepid?!? That is super crazy, and cool. I will the mechanic look over the 3.3L Thursday to see if there is anything I should be worried about. Thanks guys.

I would drive the '96 3.5L but I'm just tired of putting in money for that car. I would need to do the engine mounts, then the brakes & rotors, and it's getting close to winter time. But the engine sounds so so good. I will miss that engine, can only hope that the 3.3L holds up half as good.

·
Registered
452 Posts
yea theirs more then a few threads about people building 4.0s just search it in the search bar at top and youll find some they are truly entertaining to read threw, even if you dont understand 100% of it

·
Bitches be like...
16,618 Posts
Someone on this site made a 4.0L engine for the Intrepid?!? That is super crazy, and cool. I will the mechanic look over the 3.3L Thursday to see if there is anything I should be worried about. Thanks guys.

I would drive the '96 3.5L but I'm just tired of putting in money for that car. I would need to do the engine mounts, then the brakes & rotors, and it's getting close to winter time. But the engine sounds so so good. I will miss that engine, can only hope that the 3.3L holds up half as good.
There's a thread on here somewhere where a guy stroked a 3.3 to a 3.6L IIRC... all the 4.0s are stroked from second gen 3.5L. Pretty sweet stuff. Watch out for the mod bug, it'll get ya!

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
besides the engine, the cars are exactly the same in a mechanical aspect.

However, I will say My 3.3 has 206K on it and is expecting to stay between 4K and redline for 11 miles here in OCT when I go play on the dragon for the third time.

·
Registered
13,702 Posts

$400-$500 repair one time VS $400-$500+ monthly car payment for the rest of your life???

If the body is still in decent shape you could get at least the winter from it, probably another year.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No no, you misunderstood me. I believe in used cars - and if I can I will always buy at the price it is and not refinance...but I just paid 250 for the bushings that wear out the steering, i was going to pay 400 dollars for some tires, and now getting the right engine mount cost about 135 dollars plus the labor that goes with putting them on...the 95 Intrepid seems to be a steal with 82100 miles. I love my 96 3.5L (Marco is my first car, trust me I don't wanna let him go). But I will need to sooner or later.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Once you start driving the 3.3 and realize how rock solid they are and then relize there is no h20 pump timing belt issues, then you will slowly forget the small amount of hp you are missing.

Is it an es?

·
Registered
32 Posts
The 3.3 may not be as powerful but mine has done pretty good 286000 miles so far. I do agree more power would be nice but I'll take the longevity its provided so far. The auto stick mod added a lot more fun to it. So even if its not fast at least its fun.:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts