DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at buying this behemoth:

What do you think? Has 90K miles on it, is fully loaded, TV/VCR, 12 Disc, on-board air compressor, fold down sofa. I do a heck of alot of camping/travelling, besides the gas mileage, and this thing would be perfect for that + towing the ATV, or anything else.

Only catch is, its got a howl coming from the back end, so it either needs the trans or the rear end rebuilt. Im thinking $1500 for it because of that...what do you think>?

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
If you can get it for 1500 I would do it. I wouldnt go a whole lot higher than that.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Is this for a family and friends or just yourself? If for a family then I say hell yea......conversion vans are very fun to ride in. They are so spacious....and you can just play a game of cards or PS2. Definitely the type of vehicle that the kids will shut the hell up in. Also great for tailgating. If it's for yourself....then I say that it's probably a bit over the top. The only bad part about conversion vans is that a lot of them won't fit in city garages. We had a 85 E-150 conversion van, and on our trip to Vegas (yes a Ford made it from Va to Vegas and back) we had to leave it in the 115º heat because the van wouldn't fit in the parking garage of the hotel.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hell ya! Thats like a mobile house. Could put an awesome sound system and refer in there and still have room for "other" activities.
Would help cut down on hotel costs if you plan on traveling too.

Now if you could somehow install auto stick in that thing! :driving:

-GB49

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IceDragon38 said:
Is this for a family and friends or just yourself? If for a family then I say hell yea......conversion vans are very fun to ride in. They are so spacious....and you can just play a game of cards or PS2. Definitely the type of vehicle that the kids will shut the hell up in. Also great for tailgating. If it's for yourself....then I say that it's probably a bit over the top. The only bad part about conversion vans is that a lot of them won't fit in city garages. We had a 85 E-150 conversion van, and on our trip to Vegas (yes a Ford made it from Va to Vegas and back) we had to leave it in the 115º heat because the van wouldn't fit in the parking garage of the hotel.
Its for a little of both. I do alot of travelling and camping myself, usually with 2 or three other people, so it would be great for that. It would get rid of hotel costs and tents, I could just park it at a campground. Also, I dont have anything other than the Trep right now, so to tow anything right now I have to borrow my dad's Ram, which isnt that easy because he usually needs it. I dont really need a pickup truck, and they are so damn expensive, I think a van would do the trick.

Yep, no parking garages, or drive thru's, way too big. Not a big problem though.

I can get one that needs no work almost exactly the same for around $4000, but if I can get this one for $1500 and rebuild the trans or rear end myself I can come out with about $2500-$3000 into it total.

buffalo r/t said:
plenty of room for manuvers back there..hehe..
another definate plus.... :smiley_ab:

·
Registered
37 Posts
The shaggin wagon baby!!!!

That howl is probably from the transfer case, my Expedition had the same thing, something with a pinion gear missing some teeth inside the transfer case. Garage I took it to said around $600 to fix.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Eightball00 said:

That howl is probably from the transfer case, my Expedition had the same thing, something with a pinion gear missing some teeth inside the transfer case. Garage I took it to said around $600 to fix.

No transfer case on this one, thats for a 4x4. I got a quote of $1200 if I pull the tranny and ship it to a shop for rebuild, or $650 for the rear axle. Either the overdrive unit is howling (good old A518) or the bearings are shot in the rear end.

I just talked to the guy, he said he'll take $2000 minimum. Thinking about doing it. He said someone offered him $3000 and if they dont come thru then its mine. As far as I am concerned, whoever wants to pay $3K for it can have it! We will see, he is supposed to call me back tonight with an answer on my offer of $2000. I dont think 2K is too bad, as long as I dont go over what the van is worth-- which I think I can pull off and still be ok. The rest of the van seems to be in really good shape.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Wow! thats a good buy, lots of rear ends around from 1/2 tons, should be

interchangable!

Are they really that cheap!

not here!

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gn300 said:
Wow! thats a good buy, lots of rear ends around from 1/2 tons, should be

interchangable!

Are they really that cheap!

not here!

Yeah, thats what I thought. I figure Ill just go ahead and rebuild the rear end or trans, whichever it is, because I plan on keeping it for a while if I end up buying it...

These go for about $4K with nothing wrong with them, just like this one... I was originally looking for a 3/4 ton pickup truck, but $7k plus--for a Dodge Ram that wasn't beat to hell, even looked at a few diesels, couldnt touch those (without 500,000 miles) for less than around $15K! So I figure a 3/4 ton van for $2000 needing some work is worth it. He just sent me some more pics of the inside, its real clean.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
there great vans,, just remember once you own a dodge van YOU own it for life,
dow here they cant give the things away,, most are given to cheritable places such as cars for kids etc,, sad but true

·
Registered
19,572 Posts
Hell Yeah! You got me thinking about buying a van now. I've always wanted a conversion van like that. If I could find one like that around here for two or three grand I'd go for it. My kids would love it.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
My company "car" is a 1500 cargo. It has like 130K on it, and it's an '04. It has had that howl for like 50K now. I don't even hear it anymore, and it isn't worth enough for the company to fix. Thing still has major balls, and gets decent highway miles. Just doesn't corner quite as well as the trep, lol.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
DrDodge said:
there great vans,, just remember once you own a dodge van YOU own it for life,
dow here they cant give the things away,, most are given to cheritable places such as cars for kids etc,, sad but true
Thats because out of the big three Dodge had the worst full size vans.

Hard to say considering I really like most Dodge products.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Eightball00 said:

Damnit! I was gonna call it the shaggin wagon! Transfer case? Is this thing 4WD?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hardwareguy said:
Damnit! I was gonna call it the shaggin wagon! Transfer case? Is this thing 4WD?
Haha, shaggin wagon it is!

Not 4WD, but it would be sweet. They did make them, there was one on ebay a while back---super hard to find. Ford made them too.

tehking said:
Thats because out of the big three Dodge had the worst full size vans.

Hard to say considering I really like most Dodge products.
Out of curiosity, why do you say that? I've always liked the Dodge vans over the Ford and GM. I think the dodge has a good look to it for a full size van, and I like the interiors better then the other guys. Fords have that "old man" look to them. GM, well, I have never been to excited about any of their regular products, (especially 96+, 95 & older yeah) besides the muscle cars. I always said if I couldn't get a Ram pickup I would get one of these.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
My van was also called a shaggin wagon back in high school. 1984 Caravan with a 2.2, slow, but ****en powerful engine.

Instead of a system, go back to the age of disco and put in a waterbed to try out these new maneuvers.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Crawl underneath and look at the rear differential. If it's a 9 1/4" axle, most likely the howling is the pinion bearing races are pitted. Common problem with the 9 1/4" rear. Tough diffs but the races go bad and get noisey.

Complaining about mileage is like saying motorcycles get great mileage.
For what it is, there is nothing wrong with the mileage. Considering it's ability to tow and carry lots of people and as said, save on hotel bills.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts