DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone,
I'm strongly considering buying a 2001 300M. It's high mileage(98k) but the price is right. And I really like the look of the car and this particular car is in great shape. But here is the thing: I have never owed an Dodge/Chrysler product, nor have I ever owned a car this big. I've only owned smaller mid size cars(3 SAABs and a VW) But I have 3 kids and need/like the room. I have done some research but I have some questions for you all...

1): What are your real life MPG? I've read it gets 19-26ish
2): How does it handle in the snow?(I work for a utility in the northeast and snow days are not an option).
3): How often do you change oil? And do you use dino or syn?
3a): Does the engine burn/use oil regularly?
4): Is there anything I should look out for on this car. Any predictable problems that I should be aware of? (One reason I have always liked SAABs(I still own one that I am trying to preserve) is their predictability. Sure, they may not be as reliable as a Honda or Toyota, but I could always diagnose a problem...because if one SAAB had the issue most likely all of them would).
5): How often do you have to change tires and what brand/type works for you?
6): Generally speaking, is this car inexpensive to maintain?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

·
Banned
35 Posts
i can only speak about the intrepid but my car handles good in snow in winter time i use Hancock winter tires mpg is about right and i use castrol synthic and it works great the car isnt that expensive to maintain

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Welcome Aboard!!!

There are a few members closer to you than myself that can chime in on exactly how they handle in your neck of the woods, but yes, that car will do you fine.

In general, the car is less expensive to maintain than a Saab or VW - but maintenance cost and how 'good' the car is will be much a matter of your personal opinion and attitude and how much work you do yourself... how much you try to cut corners vs. doing it right the first time, etc... that is the case with ANY car...

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
The car is not much bigger than your saab.

4 snows on dedicated rims is the way to go for the winter,with traction control you will be good.

89,000 is not high mileage for an 01.

Expect to replace the h20 pump and timing belt at 100,000 if it's not done.

did you test drive yet, if so you might have said wow i should buy this!

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
I concur with what my esteemed colleagues have said here.
I have 131k on my 04 Special, have religiously maintained it, but it has also taken care of me too.
I have raced my car as well....but they are dependable, and if taken care of, will last hundreds of thousands of miles!!

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
thats not really high mileage at all. most of the 01s I've seen had between 120k and 150k on them. definitely do the water pump and timing belt if it has not already been done. that'll cost you about $250 if you do the work yourself (not too hard if you are mechanically inclined and can borrow/rent the right balancer puller). I run 5000 miles on mobile 5000 dino oil. In town I usually get about 17-18. If I drive highway only I get 25-28. Since I moved to the city my avg has been about 22. About the only other thing I can think of is that since it is an 01, there is an engine oil cooler that should be deleted before it fails (they did away with it in 02). And that is just a matter of getting the hoses off at the cooler and putting a barb in to connect the 2 lines to bypass the cooler.

·
Bitches be like...
16,618 Posts
Assuming you can actually drive in the snow (I assume you can) the 300m will be good in the snow. My trep is a tank in the snow, never gotten me into trouble.

the 3,5L engine is a good motor, by your due for 100K timing belt and water pump, if it hasnt been done. Other than that, they are big cars and can be hard on the suspensions, so give it a good chekc for noises, and loose steering. Other than that, solid cars!!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
My trep is great in the snow.. but with about 50-80 lbs of weight (stereo system in my case).. it never swayed or slipped the slightest bit... And I drove 15-25 mph faster than others on the road.... All seasons were what I had

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
Everyone is mentioning the water pump / timing belt replacement as being due at 100,000 (or 105,000?) miles which is correct. However, no one has yet mentioned that there is also a 7 (or 8?) year age limit. So if your car hasn't had this work done, it's already past due.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
I drove mine every day from lebabon to laureldale with out an issue. only thing i did was a set of snow tires on the front of the car. PM me if you have any other questions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts