DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, my parents asked me what i wanted for my birthday and i think that i want a remote starter/alarm. any of you guys that have had them installed....what's the best brand? i don't know much about them and i'm gonna have it professionally installed anyway because i haven't the time to do it, plus that way it's guaranteed for the life of the car. i'm trying to stay around $250 to $300. thanks in advance, guys and gals.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
I hear Clifford is pretty good..

By the way:

Baruch Atah Adonai Elohenu Melech Ha-olam Asher Kidshanu B'mitzvotav V'tzivanu L'hadlik Ner Shel Hanukkah.

Baruch Atah Adonia Elohenu Melech Ha-olam She-asa Nissim L'votenu Bayamim Ha-hem Ba-ZmanHa-zeh.

Baruch Atah Adonai Elohenu Melech Ha-olam She-he-che-yanu V'ki-ye-manu V'hi-ge Yanula-zman Ha-zeh.

I know that is last night's blessing, but I wasn't on last night.

Shalom and Peace be with you.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Several years ago, I bought a Crimestopper alarm system for my Nissan Pickup. Added a few do-dads to it. Bottom line, the truck and alarm survived a confrontation with a deer, a mob, and finally a guardrail head on (not necessarily all in one night). The alarm transmitter wore out before the alarm did. I'm very rough on about everything I can get my hands on and I will never use a different alarm again considering the abuse I put that Crimestopper through. Also, here's a link for Parts Express. They carry all kind of electronic "do dads". You might want to add it to the list of accessories.

[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: bigdaddy ]

·
Registered
151 Posts
Clifford makes the Avital and it is no longer called Avital. Instead the remotes etc. have "Predator" on them and the Clifford combo is sold under this name... at least that's how it is in Canada..

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Originally posted by n_koutelas:
Clifford makes the Avital and it is no longer called Avital. Instead the remotes etc. have "Predator" on them and the Clifford combo is sold under this name... at least that's how it is in Canada..
Avital and Clifford have seperate websites and product names, still? However, they are all owned by Directed Electronics. I beleive they also own Viper (and the rest of that line), as well as recently aquired ADS Technologies and Orion audio brands. Check their website, they own a lot of car security and audio brands....

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
welp, i think i have decided on an Avital 3300 remote starter/security system combo. the price is $350 installed at best buy. i think this is a pretty reasonable deal. another shop here in town was trying to get me to buy a lesser system installed for $449. i told them to shove it. btw, at least according to best buy, avital is completely seperate from clifford. clifford had an alarm with comparable specs except that it had a 1 mile range and best buy had it for $430. it's a little out of my range, unfortunately.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
OK, went looking at alarms this week to get prices. I spoke to a couple of guys about all of these systems.

Here is the deal with Avital, Clifford, and Directed Electronics (DEI).

Both Avital and Clifford have gone out of business. Their assets were bought by DEI. There are still A few products under each brand name, but they are basically just a DEI product (DEI makes Viper).

One of the guys I talked to actually had worked for Avital until they went under (Avital was located in the next town over from where I live). Anyways, he told me their downfall was buying cheap microprocessors (to cut costs) that continously kept failing. The rest of the alram/starters were solid with all the bells and whistles, but the microprocessors could handle it :(

Hope that clears some things up.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hey guys, I have been pretty happy with my Viper 600 Series. People always tell me that Clifford is better than Viper, both companies are DEI (Directed Electronics). I have a 600 series w/Talking proximity sensor "Protected by Viper, Stand back!" It's pretty killer. I had to bring my car in a few times for them to correct things with the alarm with my 99 ES, never had a problem with the 300 series in my 95 Intrepid, probably because it was less complicated. I didn't get remote start because I'd have to have another microchip key made that would have to be permanently attached to the alarm unit and I didn't like that idea. At least that's what I understand from research. I remember when the installer didn't reattach my emergency brake pully correctly after removing the panel, it just pulled right out and I couldn't take the emergency brake off. I was so pissed off! I went through a large reputable installer too! Just be careful of these places. I like Viper myself. Most people tell me they prefer Clifford over Viper.

Later guys,
MoparPerformance :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts