DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I only have only 85k miles and water pump has now failed three times. Each time replaced with OEM by dealer mechanic. What should I replace with for the fourth and final time? Thank you in advance, Al

·
Woober Goobers!
50,456 Posts
Most 2nd gen owners use the Gates kit.

I would recommend the
GATES TCKWP219 {#WPK41004} PowerGrip; Does not include cam. tensioner hydraulic assembly Info
One of our most popular parts

You can get it from RockAuto for $76.79

Includes the Timing Belt/Water Pump/Tensioner Pulley

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,750 Posts
Would like to hear the story behind this;

Its a 26 year old car, with only 85K, how frequent was the pump replaced, and why? Did the car idle all the time, all local, city driving?

Reason I ask, 3 water pump failures, regardless of who replaced them, is very unusual. What was the replacement interval?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately not documented. First two were replaced because of a little weeping. Now it's leaking a lot. No idling. Sits in garage a lot. Car in extremely good and well cared for condition.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,750 Posts
Really hard to say why then, question I have is, were 3 water pumps replaced with in a year, or 5 years, or 10 years?

Many think that low mileage old cars should have no issues; low mileage is generally good for value, but, in all cases a 26 year old car with low miles has all 26 year old parts, and things like seals, hoses, belts, gaskets, all dry out, wear out, and have a general service life; regardless of mileage. In most cases its better for them to be "used" than sit; especially seals and gaskets.

Sometimes it can be more costly to restore a 30 year old original car with 30K miles than a 10 year old car with 200,000 miles;

Now, that being said, some seeping on the 3.5 water pumps is completely normal; key is "some"; you might have had a dealer that saw a little bit of normal seeping as an opportunity to sell you a water pump job;

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately not documented. First two were replaced because of a little weeping. Now it's leaking a lot. No idling. Sits in garage a lot. extremely good and well cared for condition.
Really hard to say why then, question I have is, were 3 water pumps replaced with in a year, or 5 years, or 10 years?

Many think that low mileage old cars should have no issues; low mileage is generally good for value, but, in all cases a 26 year old car with low miles has all 26 year old parts, and things like seals, hoses, belts, gaskets, all dry out, wear out, and have a general service life; regardless of mileage. In most cases its better for them to be "used" than sit; especially seals and gaskets.

Sometimes it can be more costly to restore a 30 year old original car with 30K miles than a 10 year old car with 200,000 miles;

Now, that being said, some seeping on the 3.5 water pumps is completely normal; key is "some"; you might have had a dealer that saw a little bit of normal seeping as an opportunity to sell you a water pump job;
I bet the first two replacements were unnecessary since extremely minor weep and I was expecting no leak.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately not documented. First two were replaced because of a little weeping. Now it's leaking a lot. No idling. Sits in garage a lot. extremely good and well cared for condition.

I bet the first two replacements were unnecessary since extremely minor weep and I was expecting no leak

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I am ordering the Gates TCKWP219, but believe there is a timing cover gasket too. Besides this Gates TCKWP219 kit, what gaskets and other items should be replaced? Any good Intrepid mechanics near Midway Airport in Chicago or just south suburbs?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts