DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:
The previous owner of my car must didn't dry the windows after they washed the car. There are what seem to be permenent water spots on my windows. I've washed the car 4 times now, paying extra attention to the windows. I've used everything just about on them, and still no change. Does anybody have any ideas that will help this situation. I'm trying to steer clear of buying a bottle of cleaner that costs $8 and it doesn't work either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,649 Posts
This sounds crazy, but it works. Try buying some very, very (emphasis on VERY) fine steel wool at the local hardware store. Make sure you use plenty of Windex (or other window cleaner) for lubrication and buff the windows clean. It should remove any bugs, water spots, road film, etc. from your windows. After cleaning them try putting a thin film of car wax on them. This will help keep them clean and water sheds right off (very similar effect as RainX)...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Yep I was going to say the same thing but db beat me to it. Let me add one thing, make sure it is the FINEST steel wool you can find.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,649 Posts
Snorton Norton said:
I bet $10 that this $40 auto glass polishing product would take care of that problem lickity split:

http://www.properautocare.com/glaspolkit.html

And if it don't you'll only be out $30... :wink:
Only problem is it requires a $100+ polisher. Of course you and I already have one so we're good to go... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,804 Posts
dbaudiopro said:
Only problem is it requires a $100+ polisher. Of course you and I already have one so we're good to go... :D
Well, okay, make that $160 and $150, respectively... :wink:

As a matter of fact db, UPS just dropped mine off less than an hour ago. Haven't even opened it up yet. Just like Christmas! Now I'm just waiting for the pads...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
I'd be inclined to buy the $8 bottle of window polish. It has a mild abrasive, almost like jewellers rouge, that will not etch your glass no matter how hard you try. The problem with steel wool, even the fine stuff, is that it's hard to guarantee you won't scratch your glass. You'll notice it as soon as you drive into your first sunset. $8 vs. $$$$ for new glass. Hmmmm. Buy the polish and use a random orbital buffer... it'll come out perfect.

Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,908 Posts
Take the time to scrub with that finest of the fine steel wool as well, You don't want to put too much muscle into it, or you'll see a bigger problem than just simple water spots ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,649 Posts
QuickSilver said:
I'd be inclined to buy the $8 bottle of window polish. It has a mild abrasive, almost like jewellers rouge, that will not etch your glass no matter how hard you try. The problem with steel wool, even the fine stuff, is that it's hard to guarantee you won't scratch your glass. You'll notice it as soon as you drive into your first sunset. $8 vs. $$$$ for new glass. Hmmmm. Buy the polish and use a random orbital buffer... it'll come out perfect.

Brian
Very fine steel wool is typically less abrasive than the tough polishes that professional window replacement copanies use. However, the polish will break down whereas the steel wool won't. If you use plenty of Windex for lubrication and don't push it into the glass as hard as you can it should cause any problems.

But I agree that the glass polish kit is probably the better way. It's just not cost effective for a lot of people...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll take all this info. in, and wash the car again tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it went.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't have the heart to use the steel wool, i guess i'll be buying that pricey window cleaner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
da1foyou said:
I didn't have the heart to use the steel wool, i guess i'll be buying that pricey window cleaner.
Try this first! Several handfuls of crushed ice. Rub it on as hard as you want, it won't damage your glass, but the sharp ice crystals scour off a lot of crap. Use as much as it takes, it's cheap. We use it on our glass coffee urn all the time. Cleans it right up! :bigsmile:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
This may also sound dumb but dab lighter fluid on a rag and try rubbing it in. Make sure you wipe it off with water afterward though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Try vinegar....is an acid. The window can suffer no damage from that.

-KOZ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,576 Posts
I use a clay bar with lubricant. You can find a kit from meguiars. After doing your windows you can do your car with it and kill 2 birds with one clay bar :bigsmile:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
dbaudiopro said:
try putting a thin film of car wax on them. This will help keep them clean and water sheds right off (very similar effect as RainX)...
I rode in a car in the rain and the windshield look like crap. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it....then the owner finally piped up, "the idiots at the dealership must've waxed the window when waxing the car. I hate it when they do that." That convinced me to keep all car wax away from my windshield.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top