DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching through google about sludge. I have concluded I should basically just become a mechanic in training.

Here is a pic of a sludged up TOYOTA! yes foreign car engine....... with less than 10,000 miles on it.........

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/sludge/cleaning_sludge.html

I am going ot be taking apart my engine tomorow morning.............I want to see how much black peanut butter is in my own engine.

Dont throw up WARNING.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Question: how long ago did that happen? Its a 2001 with only 8700 miles on it recently? If so then that's part of the problem. The car isn't driven enough, and obviously the oil isn't changed often enough either. Engines that aren't warmed up often accumulate moisture as well as other contaminents from combustion. That is why oil changes are recommended at x months or x,xxx miles. Either one or the other. That way it takes into account either lots of driving (mileage interval) or not much driving (time interval). BTW Toyota has had notorious sludge issues like DC's 2.7's. So that link is no suprise.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know right, well it was a little suprising to me............because I get a little tired of hearing people say they hate american cars and prefer foreign cars. Ok it is a fair enough preference to some sense, but overall ..... if a car is not maintained well... no matter who makes the car....... it will GO!

Reactions: froggy81500

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
jctopthugsta said:
if a car is not maintained well... no matter who makes the car....... it will GO!
Couldn't have said it better myself. Rep to you.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
So true!

I see so many 2.7 cars around town and most of them all run just fine. The motor can't be THAT bad, as long as you change the oil reguarly and don't use the cheapest crap oil, you're fine. But if you neglect this hot little beast, it will bite you!

I got the 3.5 because of the extra power and the fact that when you buy used, you have no clue what kind of maintenence was done...

Any motor that neglected will sludge and the Toyotas do not surprise me. My mom's 2.2 L engine in her Camry had the warranty extended due to "engine oil gelling" or what we call sludge!

She changes her oil every 3K and we havent had a problem. The power windows are a different story...

Need more proof, see my thread in the whatever section: "more friggin dumbasses" This will give you an account of what happens when a Miata is neglected by its owner.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine was a rental car............ I will take pics of the mud I scoop out tomorow.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
sorry hijack
with a title like that.I think to add dont forget to add a fire extinguisher to your car.you just might not know if something happens to you, like it did to me.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Dam only 8,700 miles and that much sludge. **** they have 7,000 to 7,500 mile oil changes on most cars. Only 1,200 to 1,500 miles past that??

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Ohh Ohhhhhh what a feeling. I prefer domestic cars. All cars I've ever owned happen to be mopars. Even though Toyota is actually a high quality car for the most part, I am mopar only. I think a huge part of the problem with people neglecting oil changes is the advertizing for new cars, not just Toyota. Ya hear things like "trouble free" or "never needs a tune up for 100,000 miles" , "coolant is good for 100,000 miles", or even "maintenance free battery". The average knucklehead thinks that this means just fill it up with gas and keep driving. Even though the advertizing doesn't make any false statements, it's the way people interpret it.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I have several friends that work for Toyota, so I get to hear about all of the great things that roll into the shop. For some reason people tend to think that because Japanese cars tend to be more reliable they don't need to do all of the upkeep. Once an engine gets to a certain point with the sludge you just have to keep going without changing the oil. Clearly the engine will go eventually, but it will go quicker if the oil gets changed. Sometimes there is so much damage that has already been done that the sludge is the only thing keeping it going, LOL.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
qp_20 said:
Once an engine gets to a certain point with the sludge you just have to keep going without changing the oil. Clearly the engine will go eventually, but it will go quicker if the oil gets changed. Sometimes there is so much damage that has already been done that the sludge is the only thing keeping it going, LOL.
so what you're saying is once there's sludge, don't change the oil anymore? Changing the oil will help to prolong its life not shorten it. In the great words of John Mc Enroe, "You can't be serious!"

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
My friend bought a 91 eclipse a couple years ago with like 200k. He put on a ton of miles and just adds about a qt of oil whenever he gets gas because it leaks but he never changes it. Hes waiting for it to die because he wants to by a mustang but he just can't kill the thing. Then you take me with my 97 cavalier. All maintenance was done and then after about 60k everything just started going to hell. Maintenance is extremely important and I wouldn't think of not maintaining any car of mine but some cars are just built better than others so maintenance isn't everything.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
froggy81500 said:
so what you're saying is once there's sludge, don't change the oil anymore? Changing the oil will help to prolong its life not shorten it. In the great words of John Mc Enroe, "You can't be serious!"
My THoughts exactly about QP's comments.............I would be a damn fool if I didnt keep changing my oil knowing how sludgy my trep was already. Its been close to 9 months now since I bought it.........it failed multiple times during Sept and Oct of last year...........now every once in a while when I dont change the oil it stalls ON THE HIGHWAY!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
O by the way I pulled of the valve covers this morning...........and to my suprise.............no sludge at all! ............ I notice ever since I started to change the oil early this year by myself. Everytime I changed the oil...........it was black within 2 weeks..........but at the same time.........I was continuosly using seafoam and engine flushers prior to changing the oil. So I was quite pleased that it wasnt what I expected to see. Everything was like new!....... No I got to go deeper inside to the cylinder heads next time to see how in there is.............

Its nice when u can pay attention to details and think logically ! .......... instead of me dishing out thousands of dollars to mechanics who are doing the same guessing is I would.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
If there is sludge starting to build up, but no serious damage has been done then of course you should continue to change the oil. The engine can have some sludge build up and have nothing serious happen, but something should be done to rectify the situation. On the other hand once the engine has built up enough sludge to cause serious damage changing the oil is no longer helpful. Ususally in cases where this is really an issue there is a lot of oil leaking or burning off. In those cases you should discontinue changing the oil because the engine life will actually shorten with all new oil. Some garbage oil will be needed to keep the damaged equipment running. I would liken it, very loosley mind you, to why you shouldn't just spontaneously switch a high mileage engine over to synthetic oil. You should be gradually mixing more and more synthetic into the regular oil.Think about how fresh oil would work in a cylinder that has deep gouges in it. The oil would go into the gouges and bypass the rings. Keeping some of the sludge present helps to prevent some of the blow by. I know that it goes against normal logic, but really we are talking about how to make an engine that has been destroyed run a bit longer.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Sludge or no sludge, oil is getting past the rings. Unless, of course, the engine is so sludged, oil isn't even getting to the rings. Then its pretty much dead since the cylinder liners and/or rings will be destroyed relatively quickly.

Sludge build-up may help prevent oil leaking from seals and gaskets by blocking those leaks, but if its in the oil passages, the only way to keep them clear is to continually change the oil.

I just switched over to full synthetic with just under 80k miles and haven't seen any issues. No smoke or leaks to speak off. But then again, I do mostly highway, so I'm pretty confident my engine's running nice and clean. Besides that, I cut open a filter a couple oil changes ago, and other than an oil stained filter media, no chunks or sludge or anything.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts