DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
30 it's way low !! You must be having a horrid MPG and tire wear on the edge.
My 225/55/17 are inflated to 37 fronts and 35 rear cold pressure. Road feel is really good maybe a little stiff for some (special suspension front), but I like to feel the road and steering is very responsive and sharp.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Mine are at 30 PSI cold as per manufacturer's specs too. Tire wear is fine, not getting horrid mileage. Average a little above 22 MPG mostly city driving according to the OTIS. Usually hit 27-28 on the highway with the 3.5 HO.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I inflate my tires to what is on the sidewall, 38psi. No more than 40 though.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
ya my specs are 30 psi and ive had my tires since new which is about 4 yrs now. They are fine, no uneven thread wear.

Thats what the door says, and thats what i follow LOl.... they look odd overinflated.... like they are about to pop LOL....

Gas mileage is average, a little low but all of my tires were that way, even my winters are 30 psi and i didnt inflate them to that pressure.

·
Registered
795 Posts
30 it's way low !! You must be having a horrid MPG and tire wear on the edge.
Sigh... everyone seems to think you need to fill tires to what is written on the sidewall. NO! The manufacturer is required by law to put on the MAXIMUM psi the tire can safley run at.... it's not the recomended pressure at all... 30-35max psi is quite enough even for a heavier car like a trep even with 4 fat asses sitting in it!

The psi on the door placard is what you should fill to... possibly a few more if carrying retarded amounts of extra weight.... it's on there because the car was designed specificly for that psi

And don't lower/raise the press if you have larger rims... if it's to rough go back to stock/get better shocks.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you are SUPPOSED to keep the PSI the sameeven with different tires? Wow.

Where is the door placard, on the driver's side?

Joe, yes I could put these in all one post, however, things wouldn't be seen quickly. Also, I am not afraid to post my questions because there is a chance that other have the same questions as I. I do understand the frustration though.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
well i got some 17s and it says max 41 psi... but i keep it equaly all around 35-38 psi...what should i put it to when i go to the track?(the front ones?)

·
Registered
285 Posts
34-35 psi all the way around. Nice even wear patterns too.

·
Registered
795 Posts
...what should i put it to when i go to the track?(the front ones?)
It's a tricky balance you have to get right... to much pressure will reduce tracton and cause you to break loose on acceleration and cornering, you may not notice it but it will affect your times. To little increases rolling resistance and wil adversly affect handeling.

It would take a lot of trial and error to find the right pressure, which would change with track conditions. This is why professional race teams are so anal about monitoring tire psi... they deal with 1-2psi diferances between tires to fine tune handeling.

I'd stick around the 30 area... especially if you find you loose traction a lot. A good idea would be to try consecutive runs... one at 30 one at 40 to see what happens.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
wow thanks DJDiggler, thankfully mine are set at the correct pressure. I think i have like 1 tire at 31 but the rest are all 30 psi and the car doesnt feel soft at all, i dont think you would feel anything from 30-35 anyways. Like if it was like 15 then maybe gas MPG would be affected but my car always eats a lot of gas bcs i only drive it in the city.

Thanks for the info,
Ciprian

·
Registered
77 Posts
Car PSI suggestion: 32 (1999 LHS)
Tire sidewall: 44 (If I remember right)

Actual: 35. I check it weekly and haven't had to add any air to it for at least a month. The only reason I had to previously was because when I took it in for an oil change, they lowered all of my tires to 30 psi for some incomprehensible reason.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
*slap* the only thing it says on the tire sidewall is the maximum pressure the tire can handle, tires aren't vehicle specific.... the tire placard is located on the drivers side door...... 32 psi for my intrepid, not sure about others

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
bhs said:
Car PSI suggestion: 32 (1999 LHS)
Tire sidewall: 44 (If I remember right)

Actual: 35. I check it weekly and haven't had to add any air to it for at least a month. The only reason I had to previously was because when I took it in for an oil change, they lowered all of my tires to 30 psi for some incomprehensible reason.
Go back and pee on the floor, and when they ask what & why, say I though we had a reciprocal arrangement, you screw with my car, I screw with you place of business.
That will show them.

No seriously, Start dropping F-bombs when you complain, maybe they will give you free stuff, you will at least feel better.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
DJDiggler said:
Sigh... everyone seems to think you need to fill tires to what is written on the sidewall. NO! The manufacturer is required by law to put on the MAXIMUM psi the tire can safley run at.... it's not the recomended pressure at all... 30-35max psi is quite enough even for a heavier car like a trep even with 4 fat asses sitting in it!

The psi on the door placard is what you should fill to... possibly a few more if carrying retarded amounts of extra weight.... it's on there because the car was designed specificly for that psi

And don't lower/raise the press if you have larger rims... if it's to rough go back to stock/get better shocks.
Thank you for your enlightening comments, assumptions and as for your information the pressure written on the plaque sucks a## . I have never followed the plaque readings and I never will if they keep suggesting to inflate at 30 Psi. 30 Psi is underinflated and you can see the stress on the tire. Thanks for your suggestions however you might have different driving habits as we all do, and the 37-38 Psi does it for me and have never had any problems, so it's a question of opinion. And also , different makes of tires require different pressures to operate at max performance, maybe the tires that came stock on the car require the pressure indicated on the plaque, but I doubt most of us still have the original tires on their cars so there goes your theory.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Mr.Dodge said:
wierd... i had factory new tires when i rolled of the lot with 7 miles on the car and it differ from the writing on the door to the side wall... i went with the side wall.. why because its laws of physics... its what pressure your puttin on the tire hints getting a pressure gauge. and applying the pressure to,guess what? the tires specs...
Ummm I red your post 4 times and still didn't understand the meaning LOL :rollgrin: And I'm not even buzzin' :fun_08:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts