DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what the hell are these things? Im on the poweraid website and its saying something about intake and more air flow, can someone patiently give me a good explanation about these things? also if anyone could tell me if they make a difference and how much this is gonna cost me all together, I dont have any engine mods in my 3.5L 97 if that helps any. thanks guys

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
they don't add more airflow, they optimize the way the air enters the engine from the air intake.

here's a few pics of them installed on my ride.

don't know how much they cost.

here's the explanation of how they work: explanation

they give a nice 5hp or so increase and mpg is supposed to go up. i haven't taken great note of the mpg increase because it's winter in ND and my car does more idling than driving.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
530 Posts
they are not for sale yet, if your interested contact me

·
Registered
61 Posts
What do they look like on the end? Are they about square shaped? I was thinking they did not not look to difficult to make. And since I work in a wood shop. Does anyone have pics of just the spacer?

·
Registered
530 Posts
have fun

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ok cool, How think is that? And whats with the ribs on the inside? I made one for my Ford Contour today. It was 1.5 inches thick. I think that will be too much for the Mopars.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The throttle body spacers are snake oil. If it really gave 5 hp and better mileage, I'm pretty sure that someone at the factory or engineering team would have designed that in from the start. As for the 'beneficial swirling effect' that would work with throttle body fuel injections, but since our engines use multiport with a dry intake, all it does is add turbulence to the airflow going through the intake manifold and slow it down. Turbulence also adds heat. Some throttle body spacers were effective in the past, most typically on carbureted engines, for the increased intake runner length (which is pretty well optimized in the intrepid engines) and for the fact that they were typically made from phenolic, a kind of superdense fiberglass which provided a heat sheild from the hot engine and the cold carburetor.
whodat

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
whodat said:
The throttle body spacers are snake oil.
if you say so. i'm not gonna argue with you about them, i'll leave that to corey. please go ahead and try to convice all the people that have them installed, though. i challenge you to find a single driver here with TB spacers installed that didn't notice an increase in performance and/or mileage.

·
Registered
47 Posts
No need to convince anyone. I have yet to see documented proof of a gain, before and after dyno runs, anything. All I have is physics on my side. As for people feeling differences, I challenge you to find a professional test driver that can feel changes of 5 horsepower. Let's see, 5 hp out of the 215 mine came with stock is, what, a tick under 2.4%. Who am I to question whether a 2.5% change in power is noticeable? Perhaps it could be based on the gee whiz factor? I paid money for this, so it must make my car faster. Placebo effect.
whodat

·
Registered
11 Posts
agree with whodat TBS fly **** in pepper

the only way that you can increase HP is to change intake pressure exhaust back pressure, increase fuel, and change compression ratio possibly even stroke

I work as an engineer at a diesel truck engine plant sticking this part in there for all I see it just provides restriction and not smooth flow of air intake to the intake manifold. make a real difference and get rid of the corrugated #1 #2 get Apexi sensor controllers and increase the fuel rate and possibly even change to MSD spark controller system I figure these will give you extra horsepower you looking for, still maybe only 5% to 10 % performance increase.

if you want to make it big add a paxton supercharger to the trep in the area where the battery is and move the battery to your trunk for the extra room. the paxton should add 30 to 40 % more ponies
:baaa:

·
Registered
587 Posts
So what your saying is that since the ways you listed are the ONLY ways to increase horsepower, you can't do it with dyno-proven methods like advancing spark timing, changing the underdrive pulley, and so on?

I don't think thats what you mean, but I just wanted to be sure...

And yes, I am also skeptical when a new kind of product (for our cars anyway) comes out as well. But when it is something that doesn't claim to add 400HP, or something stupid, and some of the members on the site notice a difference, I am inclined to believe that it does actually provide benefits to our cars.

Just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
you guys want to see if they make a difference? let's race.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't have a 3.5 sport but I wish I did

Post your part number from the ECU

the standard engine performance setup of the 3.5 sport was a better tuned fuel air mixture for speed and the elimination of the govenor so give me an ECU like yours and my 3.5 will be just the same.

If anyone looks up the MSD and the APEXI controllers you will notice spark and injection timing modifications are possible with them but 5 or 10 percent increase out of this little piece of steel In all my engineering days I don't believe it. It's too small to provide the smooting out of the air flow before it makes the 90 degree bend into the cylinders. The more bends the less smooth the air flow. take a look at hydraulics and what happens to water flowing over this same type of formation, anyone who bought this and put it on the intrepid make sure your comparing apples to apples.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't know never used them

Even in the design of the turbo Diesels that put out 400 HP they don't use too much hydraulics except for special fuel injection system. Hydraulic pumps are not too efficient so even though some manufacturers are trying 3 pos 3 way hydraulic valves the electronics and control as well as additional weight and pumps are not as appealing as straight rods and rocker arms.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts