DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

New Camera Mails Tickets to Noisy Cars
New technology allows police to mail automated tickets to cars with loud stereos and noisy exhausts.

Transportation officials are looking to expand the use of photo enforcement to cash in on motorists who blast their stereos or use modified, high-performance exhausts. At least one agency has expressed interest in a ticketing system developed by Acoustic Research Laboratories, a New South Wales company that developed acoustic detection equipment for the Australian Navy.

The fully automated setup mails traffic citations to passing vehicles that exceed a predetermined noise threshold. It can detect loud subwoofers, a noisy exhaust, or even an inopportune honk of the horn.

A combination of sound level meters, cameras and computer processors identify these targets of opportunity. Separate microphone and video modules are pole-mounted in waterproof boxes that communicate with a laptop control unit using WiFi. The manufacturer claims that the system distinguishes predetermined trigger sounds from general background road noise. Once the system is configured, it will generate up to 10,000 tickets before the on-board hard drive is filled. A 10-second video and audio clip is stored for each incident.

Similar red light camera and photo radar technology has generated billions of dollars worldwide. In Washington, DC alone, cameras billed drivers more than $171 million since 1999.

Man, what will they think up of next to get money out of us !!!!

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Honk your horn, get a ticket?

Big brother gone too far.

Phot radar was a looming spectre on the horizon in canada, but it seems to have died of to some extent. I think it was the Island highway on vancover island had them but if I remember I think they removed them.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Anyone ever see "Demolition Man"? This sounds like that movie. In case you haven't seen it, the movie takes place in the future and whenever you curse you get ticketed by the computer. While I agree with red light cameras, because the purpose there is to deter dangerous action, I think this is way too far.

The only benefit of this is if you could park your car in sight of it. If someone tries to break in and the alarm goes off you would have video of it. This would backfire if the alarm would go off accidently though.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Gorm said:
Another great reason to get that spray stuff that overflashes your licenceplate.

--Gorm
I second that!!!

But I have to remember the advice I give people on here when they complain about getting a ticket or getting into an at fault accident:
If you weren't breaking the law, you wouldn't get a ticket.

Driving a car is serious business.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Here is the crux with licence plates, they have retroreflective material everywhere except the numbers, so when they put a strong light next to a camera the numbers are easy to read because the numbers are stamped outward and a small portion of retroreflective material is angled up and at the camera and there is a large contrast between retroreflective area (the outline of numbers/letters) and the numbers/letters themselves.

So making the license plate more retroreflective will not work, unless you hammer the letters/numbers flat and make absolutely everything retroreflective, but that is still risky because a proficient image editor may keep hammering away and figure out you plate/tag.

A better solution is 3M's monitor filters[microlouver technology]
http://www.3m.com/us/office/myworkspace/mon_filters_privacy.jhtml

A cheaper homebrew is to scan the plate and print out a lifesize image, and then laminate it and stick it on top of your plate, no retroreflection at all.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
04IntrepidSXT said:
I second that!!!

But I have to remember the advice I give people on here when they complain about getting a ticket or getting into an at fault accident:
If you weren't breaking the law, you wouldn't get a ticket.

Driving a car is serious business.
True. But some laws are just plain stupid and the only purpose of them is to collect money.

I don't think this would work in a big city during rush hour traffic. How is this thing going to distinguish between my car and the car next to me? Hell, the louder the car is the further away it can be before it triggers the camera. I can see all kinds of false identifications with this system.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Great White said:
Honk your horn, get a ticket?

Big brother gone too far.

Phot radar was a looming spectre on the horizon in canada, but it seems to have died of to some extent. I think it was the Island highway on vancover island had them but if I remember I think they removed them.

Ontario had them for a year or 2 didn't last i think they turned into a traffic hazzard since people would see a van on the side of the hwy and slam on there brakes to avoid a flash. i still get jumpy when i see an astro van with tinted windows sitting on the side of the 401..........scary memories

1 - 8 of 8 Posts