DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's like this. A fast paced rhythmical ticking. It's not very loud. But I can hear it from inside the car when I turn my music all the way down. It doesn't matter if the engine is warm or cold, it still ticks. When I'm under the hood, it is clearly coming from the passenger side, behind the engine maybe.

I've done a search and it sounds like it could be my purge module.

If so, what can i do about it?

lifters, or injectors are still a possibility. lets rule out some of the possible causes.

Remeber, the sound is rhythmical, and doesn't skip a beat. It sounds mechanical to me. But i'm just an average guy.

help me trouble shoot, or narrow down the possible problem please!!!!

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
You don't happen to have a 2.7? If so, start looking for a new engine and wait for everyone to tell you it was from poor maintenance.

·
Registered
296 Posts
my 93 3.3 has done that since i have owned it and i have put 30,000kms on it in the last year and the ticking noise has always been there it might be the purge module but it hasn't gotten any worse so i am not worried about it.
it could be something to worry about in the future but since i have gotten that many miles from it i am not sure what to do about it right now and i can't figure out exactly where it is coming from either.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The ticking noise is from the evap purge solenoid. Look in my pic gallery for a diagram. If you touch it you can definetly feel it vibrating back and forth.

·
Registered
604 Posts
it looks like that goes right behind where the tie rod goes through the fender right?

i have this same problem.

this is probably a dealer part right? any idea of cost?

·
Registered
637 Posts
My 2.7 did a little ticking when I first baught it in April. Go figure, it was a bolt right on the passanger side right off the cataletic converter (spell check)

:p

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
adaptabl said:
You don't happen to have a 2.7? If so, start looking for a new engine and wait for everyone to tell you it was from poor maintenance.
Will a moderator please give this idiot a formal warning about this. We don't need to be starting a fight in ever signle 2.7 thread because of this idiot.

--Gorm

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
gormo66 said:
Will a moderator please give this idiot a formal warning about this. We don't need to be starting a fight in ever signle 2.7 thread because of this idiot.

--Gorm
Lol... Don't worry Jason... he should feel like an ass already. Not only did he get the engine wrong, but it's a totally different gen trep.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Jess/Kyle/Shark,

You guys are the GREATEST!!!

I've been dealing with this ticking noise for a long time. The past 2 months have been pretty much constant. I was going down the timing chain slap, tensioner, sludge, etc route. Went as far as opening a case w/DC and have a diag appt w/the Dealer this Wed.

Located the Purge/Evap Solenoid and felt the shakes as I throttled. I shut down, yanked the harness, fired it back up and verified no shakes at throttle. Took all of 20 seconds to develop a CEL, but who cares.

I drove around for 20-25 min WITHOUT A SINGLE TICK!!! NO MORE MORSE CODE!!!

Purge/Evap Solenoid - looks like a tiny garbage can. Located in front of the air box. Made in Canada.

Thanks again Guys.

Like Gormo said in the Happy Birthday thread:
'DI.NET, the best thing to happen to my car'

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
irishred said:
hey gorm, all he does is go into the NASCAR forums to bash dodge and cause fights in there as well, check it out sometime

It takes two to fight and I'm not fighting. If you don't like my comments...well too bad. I have my views and so do you.

P.S. Have a great day. I will. You to Gorm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts