DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my brothers 95 Intrepid the steering wheel shimmy's horribly over bumps and imperfections in the road, I am telling him that the tie rod ends are bad I don't know without looking at it whether it is inner or outer tie rods but it is a good possiblility the tie rods are bad. He had a friend tell him that if he gets the front wheels off the ground and grabs them at 3 and 9 oclock and pushes and pulls on them and they have play that the tie rod end is bad I always thought this was a way to test the ball joint am I wrong? I thought the only way to tell if a tie rod was bad was to grab the end and check for play or just look at the bushings and if they are cracked or falling apart this means they are bad.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
To tell if the INNER tie rod bearings are bad, I know that you can only check it by wiglling the wheel whie off the ground. Other than that, you have to get in there and look at it.

The lower ball joint will create play as well. You can tell if thats bad by looking at it under the car I believe.

Just speaking from my experience, someone else will be able to provide more details.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Test the tie rods by moving the wheel holding it at 3 and 9, test the ball joint by holding the wheel at 10 and 4.. ie ... diagonally.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts