DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. Was wandering when (how many miles) people were changing tie rods? Are both inner and outers being done? Any suggested manufacturers?
Thanks. AK

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
A lot of that depends on how its driven and how the roads are in your area. I've got 82K + miles on mine, and to the best of my knowledge, everything's original. Unless they were changed before 48K miles (what it had on it when I bought it) then they are original.

To the best of my knowledge, the only part for the inner tie rods that will wear are the inner tie rod bushings. And they aren't expensive, maybe around $20 total.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I recently had my inner and outer tie rods replaced at about 90k miles. I believe the receipt said Moog, which is made by Federal-Mogul. I'd have to bust out my receipt, but I believe the tie rods were between $50-$90 each. I really don't feel like busting out my receipt right now.

But, they were both shot to hell. Roads are shitty too.

·
Registered
494 Posts
mine hasn't been changed, 72000 miles 2000 r/t....no slop and still drives like a dream..nothing's been changed except the thermostat!

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
My '99 has 163k miles, and original tie-rods. I did swap the bushings out at around 130k miles if I remember correctly....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Inner bushings and outer tie rod ends at 120k miles. BTW, look at getting the TRW/MOOG adjusting sleeves also (there's a pic around here somewhere). They have a nice big hex surface to grab onto when doing alignment.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I had to replace a tie rod, control arm and ball joint at around 94,000 K's

of course speed humps and crappy roads all over my city don't help.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
boltuprite said:
I had to replace a tie rod, control arm and ball joint at around 94,000 K's

of course speed humps and crappy roads all over my city don't help.
I was gonna say, do you drive ON the road much? with all of those parts going around the same time, I had to stop and wonder if you were a ditch diver.

The village I live in, they're finally tearing up some of the main streets to do some new blacktop. I can tell you that the one street they're doing, yeah, my wife hit a hole on that street with her Sebring (before we got rid of it) and had the tire go flat twice from hitting that same hole. Yeah the streets in some places are not very forgiving on a car's suspension. The city I grew up in, Utica NY, every now and again you'll read about a sink hole opening up in the middle of a street or neighborhood!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Try driving in Buffalo or even worse Quebec.

I think I did mine in hitting a sunken sewer grate. I noticed the city finally got around to filling the pit around this thing in....although too late for my liking.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
boltuprite said:
Try driving in Buffalo or even worse Quebec.

I think I did mine in hitting a sunken sewer grate. I noticed the city finally got around to filling the pit around this thing in....although too late for my liking.
Yeah, Utica (about 6 hours east of Buffalo) is pretty bad too. Up until the last few years, they hadn't done any major road work in over 10 years!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts