DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, what kind of oil do you reccomend for my 96 3.3 Concorde? I'v been using Quaker State but dont know if it is any good. I get my oil changed about ever 3500 miles.. Thanks again guys Oh yeah, car has 132k miles on it.. Runs beutiful....

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
my suggestion is that since you are getting up there in the miles, that you use a synthetic type oil. the stuff specially formulated for higher mileaged vehicles.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I would recommend Valvoline or Mobil, but I stay far away from Pennslyvasnia oils (Quaker State or Pennzoil). These leave deposoits in the motor. On the down side if you switch after that many miles the new oil with detergeants will knock these deposits loose and they will go into bad places. So I would have to say, unless you can get a really good engine treatment stick with what you are using now.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
It doesn't matter.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I use mobil 1 for my 3.5 and I have never had a problem....purrs like a puddy tat!
Its quite expensive, but oil is probably the most important preventative maintenance you can do on your car, so it should last a lot longer if you use good oils. And yes, go synthetic (ie. Mobil 1) since natural oils break down too quickly, and leave varnish in your cylinders...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Djnrg.... that is what I use too. Mobil 1 5w30. I wonder if I can use the Marvel Mystery Oil with that. I have a bit of a clicking sound.....and the Synthetic has'nt gotten rid of it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
'click' is a fuel injector thing.. very very normal.. nothing really wrong.... 'tap' is a lifter sound. Nothing really serious.. additive (marvel) might help.. otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about it. 'knock' is a rod sound. you are in trouble when you hear that.. put heavier oil in and an additive, and get the main bearings replaced asap

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Amsoil Turbo-formulated synthetic. Trust me, the best oil you can buy. Don't go buy it at a regular auto parts store or anything though. The Auto-Value in town that my friend works at charges $5.60 a quart. You can get it for around half of that on the Amsoil website, if you buy a fair amount at one time.

About the best oil there is though. What other company says you can go 25,000 miles or one year between oil changes (I'm actually asking, 'cause I'm not familiar with any)?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hey Medicman, Marvel Mystery Oil may get rid of sticky lifters, but if its clicking its probably just the injectors. No big deal. Mine started doing that a few months ago, but eventually ceased. I think it was shortly after I did an oil change, and put in some of that Duralube engine conditioner. That stuff worked pretty good. Quieted the engine down nicely. But, the box says its not an additive, it's a "conditioner". Whatever the heck that means....

But I'm not sure whether oil, and engine conditioner could affect the injectors. Maybe it was something else. How long was it since you changed the oil? Mine took a few days to subside after the oil change. That is, if the oil change did anything to stop the sound or not.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks for the info guys.... I actually change the oil every 6000 miles...many opinions on that one I would think ??!! hehe.

The sound has quieted some....I put some more injector cleaner in which I do on a regular basis. Hopefully it will stay away now.
Thanks again.
:cool:
PS - Detroit Auto show was cool !

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I use Duckhams.... with Marvel Mystery Oil every 3k miles.

·
9,861 Posts
Wow. Old thread. Si even has a post on here.

Try not to post on old threads unless you really need to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts