1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I dunno... The ad doesn't say anything about the fuel, just the colder air. If you advance timing you need higher octane fuel, considering our computers (1st gen 3.5L) already increase timing when you use higher octane, this kit is useless.

And from what I understand cold air has nothing to do with advancing the timing? (I could be wrong, it's been awhile since I studied this stuff)

20hp at the wheels seems way to high, you'd be lucky if you got 20hp at the flywheel by only advancing the timing.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hah I knew that funny feeling I had was good. Good thing I didn't bid, I should've thought to check his feedback. LOL!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm sure its just like the trick everyone else uses. Most cars have an intake air temperature sensor which the computer uses to adjust spark timing (aka advance) and fuel injector pulse width. Yes our car has one IF you have the 3.5 and the Flex Fuel 3.3 engine, the gas only 3.3 does not use of these sensors. 3.5 guys have probably wondered what the hell is that sensor next to the manifold tuning valve, thats your air intake temperature sensor. Some people use a box thats adjustable or non adjustable to trick the sensor into thinking the air is colder so it will advance their timing. I'm sure thats what he has but all cars use a different voltage reading for the appropriate temperature.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
94IntrepidES said:
I'm sure its just like the trick everyone else uses. Most cars have an intake air temperature sensor which the computer uses to adjust spark timing (aka advance) and fuel injector pulse width. Yes our car has one IF you have the 3.5 and the Flex Fuel 3.3 engine, the gas only 3.3 does not use of these sensors. 3.5 guys have probably wondered what the hell is that sensor next to the manifold tuning valve, thats your air intake temperature sensor. Some people use a box thats adjustable or non adjustable to trick the sensor into thinking the air is colder so it will advance their timing. I'm sure thats what he has but all cars use a different voltage reading for the appropriate temperature.
So the air does have something to do with timing... How does it work? I know with fuel, timing is advanced to the point just before engine knock... Does colder air reduce knock?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Starscream said:
hah I knew that funny feeling I had was good. Good thing I didn't bid, I should've thought to check his feedback. LOL!
Hopefully there are some more, if it does work.

As I said before, our computers advance timing, I just don't know by how much. In our manuals it says our cars can run with 89 octane. It also says that if you use premium fuel, performance will be further improved. The only way I see that happening is if timing is advanced. I don't think it says what level of octane "premium" fuel has. So I don't know how much the timing can be advanced. Maybe it can advance it further, but you'll need more octane. I still have to find out how air ties into all of this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts