DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it happend tonight, I was going to buy the parts to do it this week ironically. It held on enough to get me home, either the water pump seized, which is what i think happened cause it has been leaking or the tensioner did, or neither. The belt just started to squeal, then flop flop flop. I'm gonna go part shopping tomorrow morning, and get a new pump, belt and tensioner, and spend my day doing that. Hopefully everything goes smooth. Any input or things to look out for is apprectiated.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the project begins...this is going to be a looooong day.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol, i just got done taking the fans out...yeah, forgot the catch pan for teh coolant, hope i dont kill any animals out around my driveway...

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I got held up a little bit due to a rusted/stripped bolt on the timing cover right below the thermostat, but I was able to get it off with some WD-40 and hammering a smaller socket onto it. Everythings apart at the moment, tensioner pulley was the one that seized, im replacing it, the water pump and belt. Belt isnt shredded, just frayed quite a bit and theres lots of rubber build up in the bottom of the timing case. I'll get some pics of the install up tonight. :D

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, piston was fine.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well everything went great, everything is back up and running without problems, I'll try to post some pics soon.

·
Registered
168 Posts
congrats, glad to hear that your car is running again. I was wondering how difficult was it to replace all teh parts today? Thanks again

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
It wasnt all the difficult, just time consuming, Axle and Justin helped me quite a bit cause I had never done it before. Advice would be just to make sure the timing is correct, I set it, then after I put tensioner back on, it was off, so I had to take it off and reset it. Other than that, the fans are a pain in the ass to take off and I had some rusted/stripped bolts. All in all, not that bad of a job considering shops charge 700+ for it.

Here's some pics:
Early stages of removal

Old tensioner

New tensioner

Taking old belt off

Before I took water pump out

New water pump, o-ring, and timing belt

Old pump, belt, tensioner

After I removed old water pump (coolant everywhere lol)

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
95Intrepisize said:
When mine went it blew the heads. Check those.
[hijack]where do you live in michigan? my mom just moved from detroit to cadillac and im trying to figure out what there is to do up there[/hijack]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
01redMS said:
your car is probably pretty slow huh?
not anymore :sly:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Just an idea for people that do this in the future, when I do this I go ahead and leave the fans bolted to the radiator and pull the fans and radiator as one unit. really not that bad, pluss gives you a little more room to work. Just an idea.
-Taaf-

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
01redMS said:
have you run it at the track? im so curious as to what it would run
no, but hopefully soon

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am heading to the local 1/8 mile next sat the 20 I have almost teh same setup on my car so I will let you know what mine soes I only have a 75 hp nitrous setup right now but I think that I will do okay against most of the imports. Thanks for the pictures and the tips

1 - 20 of 32 Posts