DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well got both valve covers and intake off only to see that the chain does have slop in it. Also noticed the primary chain guide on the passenger side is broken and riding against the chain.
1. To take this guide off do I have to remove the front cover also?
2. I read somewhere that the water pump leaking out the back is what causes alot of the oil sludge. With this being said, wouldn't you see water droplets on the dipstick?
3. If there is no other parts broken with regards to the loose timing chain....is it safe to assume the cause is the tensioner?

·
Registered
979 Posts
The "guide" on the passenger side is actually called the Tensioner Arm. It pivots on a bolt at the bottom of it; the tensioner pushes on it near the top. It should be riding against the timing chain. A very *small* amount of slop in the chain could be normal when the engine is not running because the tensioner is not pumped-up with oil pressure.

A small gradual leak from the water pump or it's gasket will not show up as water droplets on the dipstick. It quickly gets mixed oil and then evaporates fairly quickly at normal operating temps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, everything seems to be coming apart fairly well at this point....until I tried to remove the crank pulley. I turned the crank bolt out about 1/4". I have put lots of force with a 3 jaw puller.....but not budging!! Any thoughts?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts