DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone thought of putting LED Inserts into the tail-light assemblies? I am just curious, because a friend of mine just did it to his CBR brake light & turn signals. I was thinking of going to the local pick-n-pull and seeing if I could get my hands on a set of tail-lights. Then you could really tint them dark without worrying about it.

Just a thought. I am not talking going rice with circles. I am actually thinking of filling in each of the lense areas.

Let me know what you think. He told me that you can get LED board from a Radio Shack and make it work with just about anything.

Later

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I have noticed a few times on the new Cadalac cars that they have that LED board as there main brake lights, I think we are talking about the same thing.. they do look rather cool..

·
Registered
61 Posts
The LED tail light idea has been floating around in my head for a while now. I just know it would take some time. If I did it to my 1st gen, I would have to fill both tail light cavities, plus the entire area along the trunk including the reverse indicator light.

I have an entire set of new tail lights etc. for my car that I was going to tint using the ideas I found on this site, so hell, maybe I'll see if I can get some LED boards and go all the way with it.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is my thought exaclty. If anyone has done it I would love to see pics. I think that I am pretty sold on the idea, now all I have to do is find an extra set of tail lights and make a trip to Radio Shack. I don't know if I would do the entire piece on the trunk lid. I think that it would make our cars look like space ships when we go to stop. The backup light area isn't a bad idea though. The reason I was thinking about this is because LED's are much brighter than our bulbs. We can tint the rear lights as much as we want and still be able to get a nice bright glow through it.

The only thing tricky about this would be getting the parking/driving lights to work. I think that there is just a lower voltage to the bulbs to get the dimmed lights... Somebody correct me if I am wrong. Then all that you have to do is make the correct circuits to get the turn signal and brake light separate and that shouldn't be difficult at all.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The taillight (low brightness light) is a different circuit than the brake lights. Both are 12 volts, but inside the bulb there are two filaments, which I'm sure everyone has noticed. Each filament takes a different amount of current to create different brightnesses. As far as LED's being brighter... it takes many many LED's to be as bright as an incondescent brake light. They are definitly brighter per watt than incondescents tho and LED's are getting brighter too. There is a new LED product line from LumiLeds (the company that makes the LEDs for the cadillac deville) called Luxeon Star LED's. I'll go into that another time. I have a 2nd gen and I put LEDs in my tail lights. It takes alot of time and patience but when it's done, it's worth it. I hope more people do it because you really have a chance to set your car apart from other "cookie cutter" cars. I had to cut the plastic dome reflectors in the back of the assemblies completely except for the blinker and reverse light domes. Instead of retyping all that I did, I'll let Randy (Intrepid98) find the post. Anyone with questions can always email me too. Even though the 1st gen tail-lights are a different design, the concept should be the same. I've never seen the inside of the tail-lights on a first gen intrepid so I'm not sure if it will be easier or harder to work with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts