DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember a while back that there was a car of the month that had it's rear lights tinted or darkened some how. I wanted to know how he did this, and roughly what it cost him. I think it was a red 2nd gen trep with dual exhaust, and I think the owner's name is bbull22 or something like that. I wanted to try this on my first gen since I have the candy-apple red color, and I think this would look really good on it. If anyone knows, please let me know! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I'm not for sure, but I think BBull just put regular window tint over the taillights - i tried to do this too, but it turned out to be a ***** because i couldnt' get all the air bubbles out.

Here is something I was thinking about trying:

Its like $22 for a can plus S&H. you can check it out here: http://www.opmd.com/item626.htm
I'm not sure how well it would work though - anyone else tried something like this??

~JGarrett98

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would probably suggest not. Some stratus guys tried a VHT Nightshades spray and left little air bubbles on their brake lights. I'm not sure how in the heck you get a smooth finish.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I'd assume you get a smooth finish as you would with spray paint? Should be similar.

It says it can be removed easily without damage? It might be worth a try.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I used window tint... and yes, it is definitely a *****. I put a few clear-coats over it to keep the elements out, but I feel like I could have found a better way. It's holding up rather well, considering. One of these days I might try the tinting spray, but I'm not sure how even that would go on and how long it would last. I'm sure it would be more durable since it's a paint, but I'd rather get someone's opinion on it who actually used it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you want the tinting spray go to O'Riely and ask for some VHT paint called something like Night Shadz, it is in their catalog. They may have to order it but you don't have to pay S&H when you order from them. It is like 8.00 a can, my friend used it and it worked pretty good.
MY HOME PAGE

·
Registered
209 Posts
Model airplane guys tint their airplane canopies with fabric dye. I am pretty sure the same could be done with plastic tail lights. Maybe it would bw worth getting a light from the junkyard to try it out (or pick up some broken light out of the road)

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Do you mean like Rit fabric Dye (or however you spell it!) Interesting...I would never have thought of that. That's a good idea. Does it come out pretty even? I know on normal fabric dyes, you dilute it with water...I would assume you do not for this application? Maybe I'll dig up some old tailights out of my shed...I still have an extra set of mid eighties Mustang tailights just sitting around waitng for a car to put them on.

They can be my sacrificial lamb so to speak.

:)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Popular Mechanics did a story on a Mustang buildup a few years ago and one of the things they did was to tint the taillights. They accomplished this by having a professional body shop mix up one color (either gray or black, cant remember which) with clear and then shooting the lights. I wish I still had the magazine so I can see what the color was though. The lights came out looking great.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
What are the laws reguarding tinting your tail lights anyways? I know some cars come like that from the factory, which leads me to believe it is legal :confused:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I'm not for sure, but i think state laws for taillights are based on light output, not whether they are tinted or not - therefore if you dont go too dark they SHOULD be legal. Unless its something gay like Iowa has a law saying that anything that limits, or reduces headlight output are illegal. But even if there is a similar law for taillights I dont think you'd get pulled over for it - i haven't got in any trouble for my headlight blackouts yet.

~JGarrett98

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yes, Rit fabric dye is the stuff they use. I am not sure if they dilute it or use it neat. I assume it is used diluted, but maybe a bit stronger than normal. I think you need the solution hot too.

·
Registered
349 Posts
in washington, tail lights and front parking lights have to be bright enough to be seen from 1000 feet away. Brake lights just have to be very noticably brighter... I think about 5 times brighter. I don't think it takes much to meet these standards. I've had cops behind me all the time whith tinted tail lights and not one has pulled me over. Once a cop tail-gated me to try to make me speed but I flashed my brake lights at him and then he backed off and turned down another road. I hate it when cops do that. That's the only time any cop has actually noticed me but I they do that stuff anyway.

·
Registered
28 Posts
today i tinted my brake lights using VHT Night Shades, it sprays on very easy and drys quick. I put two coats on and then after it dried it was all foggy looking, so i decided to put on more coat on and it was still there. But i have to say after 3 coats of clear coat it looks great. When they are not lit tey loo very dark black but when the brake light or tail lights are on they are just as bright. I couldn't tell that they were tinted. Well worth the 8.99 for the can. I will post pictures when I get them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts