DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had to repair a nicked plastic fuel line on our 2003 Dodge Intrepid (80k miles) that developed a pinhole and started leaking. Because of the location of the leak, I needed to drop the fuel tank to access the full length of the line and fashion a replacement section.

Some tips from my experience:
1) Make sure the tank is as empty as possible. This will make it easier to move the tank around.
2) Use a transmission jack under the tank to lower and raise it - this helps a lot.
3) Part of the removal procedure is to unbolt the rear swaybar so that it can be moved out of the way to give clearance to lower the tank. As our vehicle has been kept outside and is a rust-belt vehicle, all the bolts are pretty corroded, so I was worried about being able to successfully remove the swaybar bolts. Here's what I did, instead: I had removed the rear wheels in order to have easier access to moving around under the vehicle, so I put a jack under each rear knuckle to compress the suspension in the corners by jacking them up. This rotates the swaybar out of the way and allows clearance to drop the fuel tank.
4) You may want to go ahead and order new fuel tank straps (<$15 for the pair) and put them on when you reinstall the tank, especially if you also have a rusty undercarriage.

·
Premium Member
16,682 Posts
Nice of you to post the information.

Most of these cars by now have had one or both rear sway bar links replaced due to corrosion (the link rod breaks). I'm just suggesting you could replace both rear links when doing that work as a matter of policy since they're likely near end of life (unless of course they've already been replaced.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will keep an eye on the rear swaybar links. I replaced the front swaybar links when I replaced the front struts this weekend, too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts