DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered 4 sensors from rick hendrick dodge in So. Carolina and about 24 hrs later one of the sensors failed. I tried to get a replacement under warranty, but because the sensors were not originally made for my 98 trep....they claim the warranty is void!! WTF!? Does any one in this forum know how to retrain the sensors? I don't want to cough up the cash for the part if I don't have to. You guys are my last hope!! If an answercan't be found here....then it can't be done right?:brutal_43

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
You just need to go into the "MENU" on the EVIC and look for "Train sensors?". Have the trunk popped and the spare out in the open before starting this routine!

Once the system asks for the first sensor just take a magnet ( I've got an old speaker magnet I use) and put the magnet over the valve stem. The car will sound the horn (short beep) when it has that sensor trained. You then move to the next tire, put the magnet over that valve stem, and wait for the horn chirp. Tire order is:

Dr front
Pass front
Pass rear
Dr rear
spare

You have ~30 sec (?) before starting the routine and ~10 sec (?) between tires (those numbers may not be 100% correct but they're close).

I'm on my way to work or I'd copy the 2002 FSM for you. If you still need it this evening I'll do that but I've done this a couple of times myself and it's very simple once you get a magnet that will work consistently. Some guys have also used bar magnets with success. To my knowledge the fridge magnets won't work - they're just not strong enough.

Good luck ...

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
Torontofirecaptain said:
You need 5 sensors, 4 will not work.
Oops! Missed that detail, I was kinda' in a hurry yesterday morning. But you're quite right - you have to have five sensors somewhere along the line or the training routine won't work. I think Gorm (or was it Avenger?) kept his 5th sensor in the glovebox for awhile (may still be there) because he had one of those donut spares. It's also been suggested that you could drive down to your local car lot that has a 300M and train the sensors there using a sensor on the other car as your 5th sensor ... ;)
2002 FSM said:
22 - 12 TIRES/WHEELS __________________________________________ LH
STANDARD PROCEDURE - TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR RETRAIN

WARNING: DEATH OR SERIOUS INJURY CAN OCCUR IF MAGNETICALLY SENSITIVE DEVICES ARE EXPOSED TO THE RELEARN MAGNET. MAGNETS CAN AFFECT PACEMAKERS.

CAUTION: Never attempt to train more than one vehicle at a time. System is capable of reading tire pressure sensor transmissions from other nearby vehicles while in train mode. Each time a wheel rotation or tire pressure sensor replacement occurs the tire pressure sensors must be retrained. This is necessary to inform the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) that a sensor change was made and the new locations of the sensors. Retraining is accomplished through the EVIC used in conjunction with a Re-learn Magnet, Special Tool 8821.

NOTE: Use the following procedure to retrain all five (5) tire pressure sensors. No attempt should be made to retrain individual sensors.
(1) Open decklid and remove spare tire stowage cover.
(2) Retrieve Re-learn Magnet, Special Tool 8821.
(3) Press MENU Button on EVIC until "RETRAIN TIRE SENSORS - NO" is displayed.
(4) Press STEP button to select "YES".

NOTE: There is a 60 second timer for training the first sensor and a 30 second timer between training the remaining sensors. If either of these timers expire, the EVIC will abort the training procedure.

NOTE: If at any time the EVIC display reads "TRAINING ABORTED", move the vehicle ahead at least one foot and repeat the entire retraining procedure.

(5) Press MENU button to start retraining. Display will read "TRAIN LEFT FRONT TIRE"

NOTE: The order for retraining all five sensors is:
- Left Front
- Right Front
- Right Rear
- Left Rear
- Spare

(6) Starting at left front tire, place Re-learn Magnet over valve stem (Fig. 17). Within approximately 5 seconds, vehicle horn will chirp indicating training complete for that particular sensor. Remove the magnet.
(7) Repeat step (6) on remaining sensors as indicated by EVIC until all five TPM sensors positions are trained.
(8) Once EVIC displays "TRAINING COMPLETE", pressing either STEP, C/T, RESET or MENU button will exit training routine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow.....thank you all. I will try this as soon as I get that 5th sensor :)

·
Registered
714 Posts
TFC and D76G12, you guys are GREAT! !
I just got my EVIC and I was little concerned about taking the 'HTJA3TZ' to the dealer to have the tire sensors installed and trained, I've read horror stories on this site about dealers techs who did not know a thing about the EVIC/PSI system.
I had to order my sensors from [email protected] Supper center, my local dealer only had 2 of them in stock, plus Jeff's are cheaper.
D76G12, what size and shape is that speaker magnet of yours, can I pick up one at RadioShack?

·
Registered
714 Posts
! ! Y3H
hold on a second, my EVIC only shows 4 tires. How do I turn ON the 5th tire option?

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
The "real" training magnet is a donut maybe 3" across with a ~1" hole in the middle.

The EVIC does read the 5th tire - it just doesn't display it like the others. But trust me, it's there - my spare is low on air and it tells me about it every time I start the car. And if you have to use the spare it will pick up on that fact and start displaying the "new" tire in a couple of minutes - no re-training needed.

A word of advise about installing the sensors: On my stock R/T rims I have a slow leak because the sensor doesn't quite fit right. Some of the guys that have explored this problem say the tire pushes against the sensor a little causing the leak. By putting a washer around the valve stem (on the inside) you offset the sensor inward, which is just enough to clear the edge of the tire and make a good seal ...

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
2 of my R/T rims had a slow leak because of the sensors.......my new rims don't leak at all with the sensors ;)

·
Registered
714 Posts
While I was checking out MoparSuperCenter for tire pressure sensors I noticed two part numbers, 52088990AC and 52088990AA. Which one will work on Intrepids or is there any differance?

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
Captain said:
While I was checking out MoparSuperCenter for tire pressure sensors I noticed two part numbers, 52088990AC and 52088990AA. Which one will work on Intrepids or is there any difference?
I don't know about the AA part - I'm using the AC part on my car, no problems other than the slight leakage some others have had from the R/T rims.

I recently had a new set of four sensors installed on the R/T rims I bought from Spook (for summer). This time I gave them rubber washers (7/16" ID x 1/16" thick) to put on the sensor before installation. Not only did they use the washers they added a bead of tire sealant, too. We'll see how well these hold up ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts