DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my first check from SS soon and I need to get tires for the car badly. Just rotated them and have almost bald tires on the back. I'm debating on whether to get new 20" rims and tires or stay with the current 17's and going with a bigger sidewall tire. If I go with the bigger rims I'll dd a little bit of weight and have cool look. If I go with bigger sidewall tires will add less weight but then I'll have to have the speedo re-calibrated.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
So why are you wanting to go to the smaller sidewall 17? Why not stick with the 55's?

I have 245 50 R17's on my crusaders with my PCM programed for 16" tires and the speedo is just slightly off. I wouldn't go any smaller than that cause I think the car would just look stupid.

God I miss that car...
Didn't everybody tell you you would? :angel2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
@ FreezingBelow: That Intrepid pic is tight! What kind of rims and tires were those? Also, where did you cop those mirrors? Currently need to replace my tires and think I may just go ahead and get some 20s with tires instead.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
So why are you wanting to go to the smaller sidewall 17? Why not stick with the 55's?

I have 245 50 R17's on my crusaders with my PCM programed for 16" tires and the speedo is just slightly off. I wouldn't go any smaller than that cause I think the car would just look stupid.

:beat:

·
Registered
15,096 Posts
If you can afford it, go with the 20's.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
... new 20" rims and tires or stay with the current 17's and going with a bigger sidewall tire....

Read the highlighted text again

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ah... white wall!
Oh no white wall hehe. Just a higher sidewall. Not only does it give a bigger diameter, you also get a softer ride and more flex in the sidewall.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Just one mans opinion, but I'm old school. I remember when factory musclecars came out with F70-14's and we thought that was pretty cool. My first GTX had 14" magnum 500's and raised white letter firestones. So I I am not one of the big wheel skinny sidewall crowd, I think staying with the 17" wheel but trying to get the fattest tire under the fenderwell is the hot ticket, when it comes to ride and handling, wider is better (to borrow a crappy pontiac line). Especially on the LH body, I like the stock wheel size look with fat tires.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts