DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the full size spare wheel 225/60 16 Eagle GA to the local Discount Tire to see about tire siping. Better to start small.

Don't do it, that was my $10 in charity for the month. They did a half ass job, the siping jockey left 1" from each end uncut, and missed a 6" section on the inner side, probably didn't go one complete revolution.

Now I am covered if I get a flat tire in a blizzard though.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
i was watching the video on that site. how offend does a tire flex like that to get the extra traction. u can barely see those cuts in the tire for it to work. i think its a gimick

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
stroise said:
i was watching the video on that site. how offend does a tire flex like that to get the extra traction. u can barely see those cuts in the tire for it to work. i think its a gimick
The little cuts aren't meant to actually grab anything. They are meant to suck up the water into them. For example, when driving on ice, the pressure put upon the ice from the tires instantly melts a thin layer of the ice, which we all know when water is on top of ice, it's hella lot more slippery. With sipes, the water is sucked up into those sipes thus allowing the tire to actually come into direct contact with the ice.

I had my tires siped on a different car awhile back. Unlike MikeW's experience, they actually were uniform in the sipe all around all 4 tires. I had this done after driving on brand new tires for about a month. The sipes did help mildly, but nothing like buying snow tires. The compound of the tires that I siped were just crappy to begin with so sipes hardly did it any good.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
um, don't all tires except racing type slicks come from the factory with sipes?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
MikeW said:
How much did that run you? If you don't mind me asking.
Mike, if I remember, I'd tell ya. This was back when I had the Turbo Eclipse and I just bought some new Continentals for it. The bill was all one large sum (tires, installations, road hazard warranty, siping, etc) that even if I remembered the total cost, it'd do me no good. This was 11 years ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts