DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I dunno why I was thinking about this for no reason but I do that some times (thinking about random things for no reason)

and was wondering based on the principle of leverage would a smaller tire give you more torque but less top speed and a very large tire give you a higher top speed but much less torque?

it just seems to me that with a smaller tire and wheel the car would be doing less work per revolution of the tire but you would not go as far for said revolution.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
For the drags smaller wheels and tires do better. That is the lighter the combo is the better too, it works with the diameter of the tire in the total speed equation. So everything being equal a smaller wheel (rim) is lighter then a larger dimeter wheel. Un less you go into light weight raceing ones.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as for tire and rim i just mean overall diameter obviously lighter is faster :)

·
Registered
728 Posts
LeadFootLee said:
I dunno why I was thinking about this for no reason but I do that some times (thinking about random things for no reason)

and was wondering based on the principle of leverage would a smaller tire give you more torque but less top speed and a very large tire give you a higher top speed but much less torque?

it just seems to me that with a smaller tire and wheel the car would be doing less work per revolution of the tire but you would not go as far for said revolution.
yup, you are correct. smaller diameter will give you quicker accel and make your speedo read faster then your actually going. a taller tire will give you more top end and make your speedo read slow.
as a side note: a smaller tire will actually make you hit your speed gov. sooner because even though your doing 105 in reality your car thinks your going 120(just example, i didnt work out the math) and taller tires will get you past your governer speed some because even though your doin 130 your car thinks its doin 115(assuming the car has the power to make it there). i like accel so i went with shorter tires.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is that why I see so many eco-friendly cars with tiny tires? like little hondas etc... cause top speed isnt all that important to them :)

so basically throw on some small wheels and tires when you make a trip to the dyno? lol

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
LeadFootLee said:
is that why I see so many eco-friendly cars with tiny tires? like little hondas etc... cause top speed isnt all that important to them :)

so basically throw on some small wheels and tires when you make a trip to the dyno? lol
Using bigger or smaller diameter tires than "standard" is essentially the same as changing the gear ratio of the differential - except the tires will effect other things like handling and ride. If you really want to play forget the tires. Buy a set of 3.89 gears and learn to change them out quickly - it shouldn't take any longer than changing four tires at a time ... :)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, what he said!!! That's the bottom line, it's the same principle as changing your gear ratios. Sometimes referred to as a poor man's quick change rear end...

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol I wasnt planning on actually doing this but that's interesting to know :)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Drag racers have been doing this for years. My racing teamate for next year moved from 3.66 to 3.89 and is looking at smaller tires to move his effective racing ratio to about 4:10 or so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts