DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ~
Question: What tire sizes can I put on my 1999 Dodge Intrepid ES?
I have been looking and there are thousands of different combinations!!
I guess the stock size is 225/60-16.
I want a wider tire..maybe a 17, 18 max. Does this change the 225? or the 60?
I know the 16 is the width. What are the other numbers?
Thanks, John

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Actually the wheel diameter is 16", the width of the tread is 225mm and the sidewall is 60% of the width. If you want a wider tire you'll want to probably go for a 235 width. Any time you go wider you also need to adjust the side wall to keep the outside diameter of the tire the same to prvent the speedo from being off...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Changing to a 17 or 18 would require new rims (17" or 18" rims). If you want a wider beefier looking tire you can replace your 225 60 16 for 235 55 16. The overall diameter is about the same so your speedometer will still be accurate.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
dbaudiopro said:
Actually the wheel diameter is 16", the width of the tread is 225mm and the sidewall is 60% of the width. If you want a wider tire you'll want to probably go for a 235 width. Any time you go wider you also need to adjust the side wall to keep the outside diameter of the tire the same to prvent the speedo from being off...
The tire chart supplied by Warlord 187 will answer the question of what will work. Actually, 225 is not the tread width, it's the distance outside from sidewall to sidewall (cross section). The 60 designation (aspect ratio) is the ratio between the width and the height of the tire vertically. Thus a 225-60 would be 225 mm in cross section and 135 mm in height. In general, as you increase the rim diameter, say from 16" to 17" or 18", the cross section will increase and the height will decrease to keep the rolling diameter the same. Thus a 17 incher might be a 245-50 or some such.
Bear in mind that, in general, the lower the aspect ratio tire will give quicker steering response and possibly better cornering power, but you'll sacrifice ride.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
CluelessinMO said:
The tire chart supplied by Warlord 187 will answer the question of what will work. Actually, 225 is not the tread width, it's the distance outside from sidewall to sidewall (cross section). The 60 designation (aspect ratio) is the ratio between the width and the height of the tire vertically. Thus a 225-60 would be 225 mm in cross section and 135 mm in height. In general, as you increase the rim diameter, say from 16" to 17" or 18", the cross section will increase and the height will decrease to keep the rolling diameter the same. Thus a 17 incher might be a 245-50 or some such.
Bear in mind that, in general, the lower the aspect ratio tire will give quicker steering response and possibly better cornering power, but you'll sacrifice ride.
You're correct. "Tread width" was the wrong term to use. It is the width sidewall to sidewall with the tire unmounted...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thank all of you that helped with my question. You are all most helpful...
John

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Keep in mind the numbers on the sidewall are approximations. The new 235/60 16 kumho hp4 716 are the same diameter as the 225/60 16 Eagle GA spare tire. except only wider. (now I wish the oem wheels, 16", had a lower offset than 43mm)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts