DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my nitto's are extremely worn. I need to go for inexpensive performance, and I'm guessing the cheapest way to go is discounttiredirect.com since they have free shipping and online will be cheaper than a local Firestone or Goodyear dealer. Then I'd get them mounted at one of the locations they have posted. I currently have 225/45/18, so I'm guessing that is the size I should go with?

Here's that size search on discount tire:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?sw=false&cs=225&ar=45&rd=18

I don't want to spend much (remember, have to get them mounted), so it's between the Kumho Ecsta's, Dunlop Direzza's, or the Nitto NT 555's (the ones I have on now). I'm looking for the tire best in ALL weather conditions (dry, wet, and even snow, i'm in CT so I need something for all year round).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I was looking at BFG KDWS tires......until I decided to go with a summer tire only, and a winter car.

Screw it.......just close your eyes, take your finger, and move it around the screen.......then open your eyes and buy whatever you're pointing to :p

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol they all seem pretty similar. The tread ratings are 320 for the Kumho's and 300 for the other two which isn't a lot of difference, and the other ratings are the same. Dunno if there are differences in their performance in bad weather conditions, anyone know?

·
Registered
684 Posts
I would never buy shitty rubber anymore. Good rubber makes a huge differences in so many ways. For the past 2 years I've been driving on cheapo tires. I bought a set of Michelin Pilot Sport's and holy crap, what an amazing difference. Such a great ride, handling, low noise etc.....

Spend a bit extra for them

·
Registered
209 Posts
check w/ the "installation location" for mounting prices before you take the plunge..

Last time I checked on a set of tire for my Durango, they "estimated cost" was $10 / tire, but it was really $25/each.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I figure with 18'' rims it will be the most expensive estimated cost, around $25 a tire. I'm guessing this would still be cheaper than a retail purchase and install.

Is the replacement warranty worth investing in? It says it would be around $75 for all four tires. I assume this means if one needs to be replaced they replace all four since one new tire would throw a lot off. Is it worth getting?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Why don't you go to a local Discount Tire store and get them?

So you are looking for an ALL WEATHER tire? Isn't the Nitto NT555 a summer only tire?

The Dunlop Direzza is a summer tire so I guess that one is out.

As for the Kumho Ecsta, which one are you talking about? The AST and ASX are indeed all-season tires, but the 711, MX, SPT, and Supra 712 are summer only tires.

I'm currently using the Kumho Ecsta SPT (KU31) tires and I am loving them! Great price for a great tire!

Two years ago I used the Kumho Ecsta STX all-season (sport truck tire actually). It was a good tire. The snow performance wasn't all bad, but it wasn't that great. The SPT blows the STX away though. Still, the STX was a good tire for the price. The STX was the last time I used an all-season tire though. Last year I used Falken Azenis ST-115. Great performing tire, reasonable price, but the tread life sucked.

I got all those from Discount Tire.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Ecsta is the SPT. I know they're all "performance" tires, but I'm looking for something that will at least help me a little in the winter, I don't want to be sliding everywhere. I'm not a tire guy so I can't tell by the tread patterns if they'd be good in weather conditions or not.

Also, I don't know where there is a discount tire store in CT.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Barto1127 said:
The Ecsta is the SPT. I know they're all "performance" tires, but I'm looking for something that will at least help me a little in the winter, I don't want to be sliding everywhere. I'm not a tire guy so I can't tell by the tread patterns if they'd be good in weather conditions or not.

Also, I don't know where there is a discount tire store in CT.
The SPT is a summer performance tire. Summer only tires are NOT to be used in the snow/ice/slush. Trust me on this. :)

There are summer performance, there is all-season performance, and there is even a winter performance. It sounds like you want an all-season performance.

Tread pattern is only part of the design behind the "season" of a tire. The rubber compound is a huge part of that. If you haven't already, do some research at Tire Rack and 1010 Tires. The tires are categorized and the reviews and ratings I've found to be very helpful.

http://www.tirerack.com
http://www.1010tires.com

Interesting. I guess there isn't any stores in CT. So much for that thought. :)

Since you are willing to buy tires online, I would look at Tire Rack also (if you haven't already).

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Yeah ,Warlord's right. I have made that mistake before. Here in Ontario it snows in spring and as a new "Ontarian" I wasn't well aware of that and switched to my summers ,Ecsta Supra 712 and got caught in a storm. Man, it wasn't pretty, I pulled over and drove with my hazzards on home doing 30 Km/h. Summer tires no-no in slush and ice.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have to get them online, I just figured it would be cheaper if I didn't get it retail and if I got free shipping online.

Question- all the 225/45/18s look like summer performance as I did a little searching. Is there another tire size that is going to fit my wheel that includes other types of tires?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Cheaper online not necessarily true when it comes to tires and some other things. I've never had to buy them online simply because I've found local places that will price match the online retailers. This way, if I have a problem, it's easier to go to a local shop to complain.

I would definitely call around once you find what tire you want and see if they'll match. Everytime I've tried this, they matched it (various places in various states). Best of both worlds since you get the low price and the customer service as well. And if they say no, you didn't really lose anything, just a few minutes of your time.

Yeah, you have to pay a little extra in taxes, but consider it your civic duty to keep your neighbors employed and the local gov't funded.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I got my BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 245/45/18 and I love it. I've winter tires as well, they kick ass on the snow ;)

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Barto1127 said:
Ok, so as long as I keep the diameter the same (45), I can change the other size?

Thanks for the input so far.

The 45 isn't the diameter. The 45 is the aspect ratio. Here is a good read on this subject --> http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=7

The SPT wasn't available in the 245/45-R18, so I went with the 235/50-R18. It's only a slight difference.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
My sister put Kuhmo ASX's on her '04 Stratus R/T coupe this winter, and loved them, that'd be a good option if you're stuck over at Bryant this winter and a nor'easter hits. Or you could get summer only tires and get some steelies and stick winter tires on them. I use the stock ES rims from my old 98 trep on my '02 Special.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Warlord, what's the difference in that first number?

Loud98, I would use my ES wheels but with my kit it would look pretty dumb. I'm planning on actually selling them once I can get them cleaned up, they are in good condition and have like new rubber on them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.