DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there, I know this is'ent dodge related but a work friend is trying to find studded tires for his 2002 lincoln ls his tire is P235,50,r17 and all of the local places he has tryed say there arn't any studded tires for his car. so I thought I would check online for him. so I am wondering if there are other sizes that might be more commen? I would love some help or idea's. he needs more grip on the ice cause its rear wheel drive. thank you!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Forget the studs, old school tech. I have run Blizzack WS-50 series tires on ice for a couple years with my Magnum RT, they outperform studded tires. Studded tires slip on Non-ice conditions where the non-studded tires grip in all conditions. Go to Tirerack.com and do some reading on the tests they did with studded vs non-studded and you will never want a studded tire again.

Reactions: BLASK02

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I'm not going to argue that rear wheel drive has a slight disadvantage in the snow but that's not the real problem with the LS.

These days most rear wheel drives are performance cars and they come with performance tires. Most LS's came with Michelin Pilot and a Pilot 50 series is not going to perform well, even on a front wheel drive.

Listen to Bigjim and get some snows on that thing. I have Nordic's on my Mustang and it will out handle, out brake and out accelerate most front wheel drive's that are on all seasons.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
I'll give the big thumbs up concerning choice of tires as well. Performance tires can't hold a candle to snow tires when it comes to winter performance. Even last weekend when we had a good snowfall here, the neighbor's driveway is at the same slight incline as mine (I'm talking like 10 percent grade if not less) and he could not get his FRONT wheel drive car up the driveway cause he has semi-performance tires on his car. No matter how little or how hard you mash the go pedal, it just spun. Whereas I, with my cheap all-season tires, simply drove right up my driveway, no drama. If all-seasons gave me that much of an advantage over semi-performance tires, imagine what snow tires would do.

·
Registered
550 Posts
smc1377 said:
Also, aren't studded tires illegal on just about every paved road there is in the country?
They have a "tolerated" season here, I think from November to mid April. They are simply not worth the damage they do anymore.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Im sorry, but this thread rocks soo much that im going to rep everbody -

GOOD INFO REP FOR ALL!!!

(no snow here in south fla, muahahahahaha)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well after looking at tires online. I did find that 235/55/17*iirc* will work too. and I found both studed and non. and I printed them out for him to make the choice. thank you all for your help! I'll try to push the non studded tires. but he's older-ish and seems to be the type that stick to what they know works. lol anyway. thank you all! matt

·
Registered
550 Posts
JoeKD said:
Wait until next year, CT is making them illegal as of April and I am sure Ma wont be too far behind
We can only hope! The thousands of dollars of damage to highways each car does with studded tires is a total waste. The technology is done, its like us being forced to go four stroke in off road bikes and sleds, its time has come and the old tech should be gone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts