DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a question about tires. The recommended minimum size for my intrepid is 225/60/R16. Can i go for wider one?(say 265). Doesnt it damage the steering mechanism.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I would say that you could probably have a 235 or 245. I have 245/45 R17 on mine and stock size was 225/55 R17. The only thing is that the speedo is off a bit. (you go slower than what the speedo says) May I ask where are you in Canada?

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
The limits of width really depend on the width of the rim and the amount of clearance from the suspension. Usually you can go wider and maintain the same diameter by changing the sidewall. Unless you go with much wider rims and much wider tires you aren't going to have any affect on the steering...

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Dan said:
can i put 14" wheels on my trep? i have 4 195/14r70 winter tires i want to use
Not unless you want to scrifice your calipers and rotors. Depending on the caliper mount and rotor size you may not be able to use less than a 16" wheel. But the minimum for any LH that I'm aware of is a 15" wheel for clearance...

·
Registered
119 Posts
When I couldn't find any replacement motorsport tires I put on 245-55-17 but I think the inside is just touching somewhere. Had one fail. I am switching back to the stock 225-65-17.

Craig

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
CraigStevenMiller said:
When I couldn't find any replacement motorsport tires I put on 245-55-17 but I think the inside is just touching somewhere. Had one fail. I am switching back to the stock 225-65-17.

Craig
Stock is 225/55R17, I have 245/45 R17 on mine

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
dbaudiopro said:
Not unless you want to scrifice your calipers and rotors. Depending on the caliper mount and rotor size you may not be able to use less than a 16" wheel. But the minimum for any LH that I'm aware of is a 15" wheel for clearance...
Thats what I wanted to know, if 14" would clear the caliper. Right now there are 15" steelies on it which is the stock size. The rear drums aren't a problem but I was hoping the fronts would fit. I suppose a good look at the caliper clearance is in order...if theres 3/4" I should be able to stick 14's on...if that works I just need to find some 14" 4-1/4" bolt pattern 5 lug wheels...are there any cars out there that have the 14" dodge pattern? maybe neons?

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
Intrepidfreak said:
Hi all,

I have a question about tires. The recommended minimum size for my intrepid is 225/60/R16. Can i go for wider one?(say 265). Doesnt it damage the steering mechanism.

The 300M Special comes standard with 245/45-VR18 so I can't see where any 245 tire is gonna' rub or adversely effect handling, steering, etc. ...

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Intrepidfreak said:
Hi all,

Like Bimmer_2002, I went from 225/55-17 to 245/45-17. The main issues are clearance and load index. As long as the wider tire does rub when the steering wheel is turned all the way over in both directions, you will be fine.

As far as the load index goes, you have to make sure you use a tire that has the same or better than stock. For example, I went from Goodyear Eagle #1 225/55-17 95S to Kumho ECSTA ST712 245/45-17 95W. The 95 is the load index - you can look it up on tirerack.com. Also, besides on the tire, you can find the load index on the tag inside the driver door of your car. The S and W are the speed ratings of the old and new tires.

BTW - while there are a ton of people here who have gone from 225 to 245 tires, I don't recall hearing of anyone going to a 265 tire. I think you will get into an issue where the rim is too narrow and you have to consider an aftermarket rim. Again - as long as there is no rubbing or other contact!

Good luck!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I stand corrected, the stock is the 225-55-17 and I ran 245-45-17 and the Toyos rubbed. Thanks for the correction.

Craig

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
CraigStevenMiller said:
I stand corrected, the stock is the 225-55-17 and I ran 245-45-17 and the Toyos rubbed. Thanks for the correction.

Craig
I ran a set of 245-45-17 Toyo Proxes T1-Ss for about a year and never had a rub problem. I'm running 245-45-17 Contis right now and still no rub problems. Are you using aftermarket rims? If so you might want to check the offset...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts