DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 98 ES Intrepid with 3.2 and am pondering the thought of getting my trans flushed before the winter, it has 91k on it, i recently bought it in august with 88k so i don't know how it has been driven. it was driven by a middle aged woman which i know for a fact. it shifts smooth except when slowing down when it hits first the car slightly jerks, nothing violent, you can only feel it when driving. i have heard the price is around $220 at the dealer which seems quite high, and also that high mileage vehicles should not have this done. any opinions at to what i should do?

·
Registered
931 Posts
I know that your not supposed to change the filter on higher mileage vehicles, but I think flushing it would be ok. The place that I work at, we fluch transmissions for I think $69.99. I'm not sure what is so special about the dealers, if they do something different than we do but..

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
spaz_boy31 said:
I know that your not supposed to change the filter on higher mileage vehicles, but I think flushing it would be ok. The place that I work at, we fluch transmissions for I think $69.99. I'm not sure what is so special about the dealers, if they do something different than we do but..
Are you dropping the oil pan + cleaning the magnet + changing the filter??? If so, you guys charge really cheap. I have a place where the do all that plus use a machine to do the flush (Wynn's) and they charge ~180$ canadian (160$ US) I'll get mine done next spring as I didn't do it yet since I bought the car with 40,000 miles three years ago. I have ~80,00 miles now and I'm storing it soon again :(

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I don't think what Bimmer said will hurt your trans, take it to the dealer and have them put ATF+4 in it. Some people say that having a transmission flush just puts dirty fluid back in or that it will knock something out that was holding the transmission together but really if your trans is that bad that putting that pressure through it will destroy it you should probably be getting a new transmission anyways.

·
Registered
795 Posts
You leave a lot of fliud in the Torque Converter, hoses, ect. if you just drop the pan... kind of defeats the purpose IMO. If you want to have 100% new fluid get the flush. Otherwise you end up with 60/40 new/old or something like that

·
Registered
699 Posts
dodge here charges $130 for the complete flush and refill with ATF+4, or $70 for dropping the pan and refilling with no flush

·
Registered
931 Posts
We do a complete flush. I don't know why we aren't supposed to change the filter, but I was told not to change it in any vehicle because the flush cleans it out or something. Idk, they didn't explain it really well to me, I just know how to do it.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
A good trans flush machine wont work if there is a problrm with the trans.Ie. clogged filter, weak pumps etc,, a good trans flush machine works off the pressure of the trans.
hence,, if the pressure is low there is a problem,, no flush

·
Registered
795 Posts
We do a complete flush. I don't know why we aren't supposed to change the filter, but I was told not to change it in any vehicle because the flush cleans it out or something. Idk, they didn't explain it really well to me, I just know how to do it.
Thats like changing the oil and useing the old oil filter... it makes absolutly no sense!
If your boss is a shady guy he's probley charging for the filter anyway... very common scam & makes the company a lot of cash over the long run. Watch some of those "hidden camera" videos on the net, really pisses me off to see that stuff because how can you prove anything without paying to do the job over. Always ask to see your old parts!

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Like DJDIGGILER said, not changing the trans filter, is like not changing the oil filter when you change the engine oil. Thats IMO too. I've had alot of shop's around here try to tell me that the filter does not need to be ever changed, or that my car doesn't have a trans filter. To me if a shop ever tells you something like they have told me. Just take your money somewhere else, because they are just to stupid to not know what they are doing, or they are just out to rip people off. I'd do a tranny flush and a filter change anyday.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I just had the tranny fluid changed, filter replaced on my '97 Voyager. 148,000 miles and it has a little tranny hiccup to it, but so far *knock, knock* nothing has changed.
I had this done about 3 months ago. Still has the insignificant issue, but has gotten me down the road just fine. No new issues.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
My roomates Jeep Grand Cherokee, she had the pan dropped and filter replaced, nothing wrong with it, just doing preventative maintenace and right afterwords she started having troubles with it and it's now on its way out. :dunno: My dad told me "transmission: if it's working fine; don't f*#@ with it!". I know many people here wouldn't agree, my thats my $0.o2 cents worth. :dunno:

·
Registered
931 Posts
DJDiggler said:
Thats like changing the oil and useing the old oil filter... it makes absolutly no sense!
If your boss is a shady guy he's probley charging for the filter anyway... very common scam & makes the company a lot of cash over the long run. Watch some of those "hidden camera" videos on the net, really pisses me off to see that stuff because how can you prove anything without paying to do the job over. Always ask to see your old parts!
No he isn't shady, we don't even carry the filter for them. On our computer, it shows that the dealer recomends to not change the filter. I'm not saying I'm right, but that's just what our computer says.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts