DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else who installed 20's notice a drop in fuel economy?

I used to sit around 20MPG, but now I'm at 18.0 MPG.......sounds pretty bad huh? No, I don't have a lead foot.......just my car loves the fuel for some reason.

Rob

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
what's the width of the tire? If you increased the width from stock, that would explain some drop in fuel economy. More contact area (wider width) means more rolling resistance.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Lol 255 ;)

Rims weigh 31lbs each too.......stock was 23lbs I think.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Avenger said:
Lol 255 ;)

Rims weigh 31lbs each too.......stock was 23lbs I think.
Not sure what the stock size is for an R/T but my 01 SE has 225's, so you're a bit wider that the base.

Can't go by just the rim weight. Rim and tire combined when compared with stock rim and tire. Your 20's may weight more than stock but I bet the 20" tires weigh less than stock. They're way lower profile than the stock tire, thus there's less tire and less weight. That's why I say compare the total weight of rim and tire not just rim. Even if you're 20's (tire and rims) weight more than stock, I don't think it'd be that much more to cause fuel economy issues.

With 20's on there I bet that thing stick to curves like flies on ****!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Another thing to consider is that the circumferance of your previous tires and your new ones is probably not the same, so your "mileage" readout will not reflect the true distance when you calculate your MPG (or the EVIC's calculating it)
My 245s are about 5% smaller, so when the car thinks it is 100KPH, it is really 95 - out by 5%, as is the distance, so you need to adjust accordingly.
My recent trip to US got me an average of 24.9 miles per US gallon (just around 30 to Imperial gallon) over 1200 miles; combination of 75-80 mph & mountains of Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Torontofirecaptain said:
Another thing to consider is that the circumferance of your previous tires and your new ones is probably not the same, so your "mileage" readout will not reflect the true distance when you calculate your MPG (or the EVIC's calculating it)
My 245s are about 5% smaller, so when the car thinks it is 100KPH, it is really 95 - out by 5%, as is the distance, so you need to adjust accordingly.
My recent trip to US got me an average of 24.9 miles per US gallon (just around 30 to Imperial gallon) over 1200 miles; combination of 75-80 mph & mountains of Pennsylvania.
That's another good point. Depending on the size of the new rims and tires and how close they are to stock diameter (its easier to measure than circumference) then it can throw your speedo off a little bit. If in fact that were the case where your speedo (and odo) clocks one mile when you actually traveled 105% of that (for example), then your odo will be clocking less than the actual miles you've traveled, and thus less miles when compared to the same amount of gas used. Post what the stock size wheels and tires were and what the new tires and wheels are. Post the complete size ie. "Pxxx/xx Rxx" and we'll see how close they are and if it could be affecting things.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
255/35/20 ........pretty much the same size as stock tires.

The rims weigh in at let's say 8lbs more than stock........and here's the shocker: the tires weigh in a bunch heavier than stock as well (the width doesn't help, and neither do the much thicker sidewalls).

·
Registered
605 Posts
Do you have to worry about blowing a tire more with the bigger rims and lower profile tires?I was just thinking of that since my wife and i make several trips to MD from upstate ny i would be afraid of blowing a tire riddin for 14hrs straight on the highway..

·
Registered
692 Posts
Longest tip I made on them without stopping was like 2 hrs and I wasn't worried at all. I would have to say that I'm more worried about hitting a pothole and blowing the tire or denting the rim when driving around philly than anything else.

·
Registered
537 Posts
that sux...now with the warm weather im getting 19.8-19.9 not being a grandma either....even when i drove with my AC on. In the winter I get like 17.5 if im lucky i will see the odd 18mpg :( yay for summer and higer gas prices! :(
Actually with the rasorstars I get better gas milage over my stockers.

Jay

·
Registered
167 Posts
Avenger said:
Anyone else who installed 20's notice a drop in fuel economy?

I used to sit around 20MPG, but now I'm at 18.0 MPG.......sounds pretty bad huh? No, I don't have a lead foot.......just my car loves the fuel for some reason.

Rob
I put 245/45/18 and I didn't notice any drop in fuel economy, I still got around 22 MPG .

CLICK HERE FOR PHOTOS

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
dont forget great white you have a 2.7... better fuel economy...

my mileage hit 18.5 during the winter... not that that helps anyone as i have the stock 16s

·
Registered
157 Posts
well I got about 21 in town with stockers, 20 with my 18's and about 17-18 with my 20's. I definately noticed a drop in economy.

I've driven my car several times half across the country anywhere from 12-20 hours non-stop, I've had no problems whatsoever.

Has anyone else with the wider tires noticed that over uneven roads your car kinda goes wherever it wants? I find myself fighting my car on rough roads way more than when I had just the stockers on...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Great White said:
Holy crap! 18.5 mpg.
I don't think mine even dropped that low in winter!
I have the stock 16's and get between 28-32 ish. Worst average I saw in winter was around 22-24ish.

cheers

BJ
Me to Great White.Even when i put on the 17" 300m rims,i still got great gas mileage.I don't think imma go any bigger than 18's..

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Jeez, something must be up with my Special, I can't get more than 15.5 mpg from the EVIC...about 210 miles out of a full tank of gas...
I don't drive like a grandma but i'm no speed racer either..

·
Registered
167 Posts
Out_Cold1999 said:
Has anyone else with the wider tires noticed that over uneven roads your car kinda goes wherever it wants? I find myself fighting my car on rough roads way more than when I had just the stockers on...
O yea, this is common.. I had the same problem with other cars also, smooth ride on flat surface, zigzag driving on uneven road.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.