DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I failed at driving in a circle with a car that is not a sports car. I took a roundabout too fast. Car slid. Did what I could to correct, but couldn't stop the massive weight in one direction of a huge sedan. I hit the curb, put a nice dent in the passenger/front rim (Motegi) and blew the tire as I ran into a curb because I couldn't stop the car's momentum. On top of that I bent the entire axle. It's going to take a lot of work, if I even do the work at all. If it comes out cheaper to buy a really bad car to punish myself I might do it.

To all of you kids my age...this is not a sport car. I messed up a beautiful set of $1400+ rims because of my stupidity. But I did learn my lesson. So keep that in mind, it's a beautiful car, wonderfully crafted, but it isn't your buddy's WRX STI, so take it easy every now and again. Otherwise you'll do what I'm doing right now and drinking a lot staring at your car wondering why you made that decision...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will take pics. Right now it just looks like the front right wheel is bent inward, significantly farther than even a damaged wheel should be. I'm actually quite embarrassed by it because I do know better than to push the car like this. I just went overboard after a long vacation of not driving. So the only reason I even start this thread is because I feel I should be flamed for my stupidity. I will post pics, just so others without my experience will know better than to push the car past its limits. Learn from my mistakes. At least I can admit them without being completely ashamed. Don't be as stupid as me, and this car will last you a long time. It might still last me some time, but we'll see.

·
nobags noswitches nofatbitches
1,014 Posts
did that last year.. similar.. only with steelies.. u learnt the hard way tho and im sorry to hear that

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It's my own fault. I can't kid anyone into thinking it wasn't. I just want to post the story so the other yuppies behind me can realize it's not the sport car they think it might be. I am still panicking because I hate asking my parents for help, even if I know they could help. I live paycheck to paycheck with some help from my parents, like I think many my age do in this hard economy, but I HATE HATE HATE asking for help money-wise. So if you are young like me (this is my first car) plan for emergencies. I only panic now because I may have reached my limit taking care of it myself. In short:

DON'T LIVE BEYOND YOUR MEANS.

End ramble.

Edit: Thanks for the kinds words from the everyone. It is these words of kindness that have kept me from buying a new car that I would mess up.

Edit 2: It's not a real "mod" per se, but I do intend on buying a new car, and my first "mod" will be driving lessons. Seriously. If you want performance upgrades, look to yourself. I have every intention of taking mechanics classes and driving lessons. I haven't decided what to do with the Trep...I couldn't bare to get rid of it. But if the future calls for a replacement without removing the Trep, I will buy an upgrade and keep the Trep...just because....

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I learned the hard way why you should take it slow and easy even in light snow in my ES back in early 2005. Slid around a corner, hit the curb. Wheel could be repaired, but everything else was bent in there, and the strut was damaged as well. Tie rods, control arm, strut, axle, etc. Cost me $1300 in parts to fix.

So make sure you check EVERYTHING. I would even take it to a body shop to make sure the frame isn't bent. Mine was. I hit the curb at maybe 20+ MPH (yeah, big no-no in any amount of snow, and there was maybe 3 mm of the stuff on the road).

·
Registered
728 Posts
Sorry to hear it. Its definitely not a sports, but a good handling big car. What size wheels and tire did you have and what brand model tire? I have 8" wide rims and 245 45 17's and my car handles like a bandit. (i dunno how a bandit handles, it just sounded tough)

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
My gf took my car to work last winter and slid it into a curb in a parking lot. She wrecked the wheel, strut, even the sub frame. She didn't even hit it that fast but got it at a bad angle. Her insurance covered it all though, so no big deal.

·
Registered
780 Posts
sounds like you shoulda done the swaybar upgrade, ya these beasts don't corner all that well... my brother did the same thing to his SE, thought he had a race car taking a corner and wham!! messed up everything even the subframe like someone else mentioned

·
Registered
689 Posts
We all live and learn, did the samething years ago with an 84 Chrysler Laser XE turbo, I got off luck, just scuffed the swiss cheese wheel and knocked out the alignment:Overkill:
Tom

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have 18" Motegi racing rims. 255 size actually, I think. I do have the sway bar as well, and Fierce brand tires. It was holding pretty well, I just found the limits...

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I recall learning my lesson last winter, I was idling thru the parking lot at work, ( christmas eve, icy and very cold -40c ) and as I was backing into my stall, still idiling in reverse, I hit the brakes and how the 'oh ****' feeling when I felt the car sliding.. long story short, broke the taillight, put a big crack in the bumper, and dented the rear quarter some.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts