Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I was at my local performance shop tonight looking for some performance struts and springs. I think I will go with Eibach for springs, because they have excellent reviews about them. I asked the dude at the performance shop about KYB struts, but he said they didn't carry them and would have to special order. He recommended to me that I get struts called Tokico. My question is, does anyone have these struts installed on their car, will they even work properly with the Eibach springs, and are they any good? I would rather go with the KYB because I know they work well, and the Tokico struts are VERY expensive, even for the non-adjustable type!!! I want my car to handle very well, and am willing to sacrifice ride comfort.
Any feedback would be great.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, one more thing. Has anyone with a Sport model Intrepid put the Eibach's and the KYB's on their trep? I have the sport package, and I am not sure if it is just a swaybar they added, or special struts too. Then again, the KYB's would probably be better than Mopar "Sport" struts as well, no??? Just wondering if the Eibach's and KYB's would make a diff in handling to my "Sport" Intrepid. Mind you, the Dodge Caravan comes in a "Sport" model too. Wow, that must handle like a Ferarri! :D :D :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
ok, well heres some info

I have Kyb's and Eibach springs, and the only complaint i have is theres a little bit of a bounce effect. The Eibach springs arent perfectly matched to the Kyb struts, im pretty sure, and this creats a little porpoising, but its not bad, and its certainly better than stock

- A friend told me he was researching, and verified the info about Eibach and Kyb not being a perfect Match, and he said he was going to pair Koni adjustable struts with the Eibach springs. I believe you can pick these up for our car for under 90 bucks a piece.

- When I replaced my struts and springs, I noticed that one of my struts said tokiko on it, and the chrysler star. It might have been on all of them, I dont remember if I checked the rest or not, but jus an interesting fact that Tokiko was Oem at one point.

hope that helps, if i were really picky id take out my KYBs and put in Koni's, but i dont have the time or the extra money, and its fine the way it is IMOP

·
Registered
167 Posts
Originally posted by Djnrg:
He recommended to me that I get struts called Tokico. My question is, does anyone have these struts installed on their car, will they even work properly with the Eibach springs, and are they any good?
Well it's nothing close to a trep but my brother has a ford zx2 s/r that came w/ eibach spring and tokico struts. So the do work well w/ eibachs.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!

What is the difference is quality between Koni and KYB struts?? I like the fact that the Koni's are adjustable, but how do they perform? And are they better than KYB's or do they just work better with Eibach's???

Thanks again!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I guess this thread is long dead, but I'll post this anyway.

tokico is another excellent japanese maker of struts. As good, if not better, than KYB. IN fact, I believe (have read this around here) that the PHP on the 300M and possibly R/T use Tokico struts. they likely would be more firm than KYB.

Koni has long been considered the top dog (with Bilstein) in shocks and struts. Very expensive, however. Koni struts are excellent. About the only brand I shy away from is Gabriel. Not sure why, just haven't liked them as much as the others.

You know, when you lower a car with stiffer springs, it is such a black art to get the struts right. I had a Volvo GT years ago that I put IPd springs all around on, with fat sway bars, poly bushings, the works. Man, that car rode like sh*t but did it go around corners!!

I put Bilsteins all around on it (very, very expensive!) and the rear shocks were way too soft, they couldn't control the stiff springs back there at all. I replaced them with KYB gas a justs and it was perfect.

conversely, I put KYB gas a justs on a stock Isuzu Impulse turbo, and the front just slammed on every tar strip and bump in the road. It was awful. So, I replaced them with Monroes and had a smooth ride with some handling, too.

You never know.

·
Registered
301 Posts
A friend of mine has a mazda MP3 and while it handles excellent, it has a bouncy ride and the suspension is noisy, like something is a little bit loose in there, on really rough pavement. I don't like that at all.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I concur with the above statement

·
Registered
476 Posts
yes another "holy old thread batman!" would fit here. lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.