DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's hard to see the oil fill line on my 2002 Dodge Intrepid oil stick and my husband overfilled it by about 3/4 qt. today. Do I have to drain the excess out because it can damage my engine, etc.? I had a 2000 Intrepid with around 183,000 miles on it and I think my husband had overfilled that car at times also. Eventually, the engine blew on it and I suspected he may have been at fault from the overfills. I don't want to lose this car too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Make sure to check your owners manual for the right amount of oil to add!

Does your husband drain out all of the oil and change the oil filter? The car takes 5 quarts of oil, at least for the 2004 Intrepid SXT with the 3.5L V6. Since you said that he filled it 3/4 of a quart more, I would suggest draining it. Just to be safe.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Also, why is it hard to see the oil fill line? Is he using conventional? I would suggest using synthetic oil in those engines. Since they have a oil sludge problem. However, you don't need to use synthetic if you don't want to. Also, please try not to blame each other about the engine being junked. Overfills aren't the only reason why engines blow. However, it is good practice to make sure you take care of the engine the way it is meant to be taken care of.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts