DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this is an easy question....I have to install the rear bumper cover on my Gen 2 Intrepid. Said cover attaches along the fenders with what can only be described as plastic rivets. Will a standard rivet gun, a'la Home Depot, work on these or is there some stupidly expensive body shop version of the gun.

Thanks for any help.

Erik

·
Registered
165 Posts
the special tool is your hand..if your talking about what i am thinkng...they are just big plastic peices that pop in....

·
Registered
709 Posts
The bumper is held on with expanding plastic clips, the base T piece fits into the hole in the bumper and the body and a smaller T piece slides into the hole in the center of the larger unit causing the lower parts of the larger unit to expand thusly holding the bumper on. Now I think there are two bulbs on either side of the fender wells that also hold the bumper on, but beyond that it should all be plastic press fit pieces.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes there are some press in types along the trunk lid area. The ones that are more troublesome are the ones that attach on the wheel well. They are pretty much like a plastic version of a pop rivet but since I have never used a rivet gun, dont own one, etc. thought someone might have an idea of what I am on about. May just ask the body shop that is painting the cover for me. LOL this is what I get for doing it myself to pocket some of the insurance money :rolleyes:

Erik

·
Registered
843 Posts
Electric Monk said:
Yes there are some press in types along the trunk lid area. The ones that are more troublesome are the ones that attach on the wheel well. They are pretty much like a plastic version of a pop rivet but since I have never used a rivet gun, dont own one, etc. thought someone might have an idea of what I am on about. May just ask the body shop that is painting the cover for me. LOL this is what I get for doing it myself to pocket some of the insurance money :rolleyes:

Erik
Yea I had to use those for the same area on my mothers Durango,borrowed a rivit gun from work but the plastic pull pieces snapped before it was tight.I just got some black metal rivits from work and used those. Im glad I used the metal ones anyway that plastic **** sucks.The rear tire blew out on a pot hole while I had an engine in the back,the tire grabbed the inner wheel well cover and ripped it right off the truck :shocked: .If it ever happens again maybe it will hold!

·
Registered
709 Posts
The factory uses a plastic push in plug (not sure how to best describe it) but it looks like this:

and when installed looks like this:

*do note my wheel wells are dirty and that piece is lil tweaked since i had to remove it to get a picture of it*

I know places like autozone, pepboys and checker (and the like) sell replacement units for this type of thing as well as body shops should have them instock..... if all else fails the dealership should carry them.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts