DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know the top end speed on my 2000 2.7 Intrepid, and it looks like only about 115mph, that's when the governor kicked in. What is everbody else's top end speed?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've had mine to what looked like 120, but everyone says the limiter is at 119 (base model), so I guess I had mine at 119. That was the only time I'm gonna do that cause right when I got back down to 5 over the speed limit (the speed I usually go at), a stater went by in the opposite direction... WHEW! :eek:

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Lucky you :)

I'm too paraniod to ever try maxing my car out, Always afraid I'm gonna get caught.

Mostly worried about my insurance going up!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I got the 120 from "Car & Driver" i remember reading it a few years back before i bought mine. That was the top speed they got it to :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've had my R/T up to about 125, but our top speed is only drag limited. 145 or so is about the best we can do with an R/T (at least in stock form).

·
Registered
45 Posts
What's the point of having a fast car if you're not going to drive it fast? I've had my Intrepid into the 100's plenty of times. I never noticed the governer kick in so I guess i never hit 118 or 120. I recently got a ticket for doing 97 in a 55. I got yelled at quite a bit by the cop. This is my second 90 mph+ ticket so maybe I'd better slow down...

Then again, probably not. =]

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
My best time from mid-Long Island to Detroit is 8 hours 45 minutes. (That's averaging 70 miles per hour for almost 9 hours!)...only stopped for gas and whatever food they have at the gas station. Believe it or not, I got around 24 mpg on that trip.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Originally posted by david2376:
What's the point of having a fast car if you're not going to drive it fast? I've had my Intrepid into the 100's plenty of times. I never noticed the governer kick in so I guess i never hit 118 or 120. I recently got a ticket for doing 97 in a 55. I got yelled at quite a bit by the cop. This is my second 90 mph+ ticket so maybe I'd better slow down...

Then again, probably not. =]
I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm 21, and my insurance is pretty high even without any tickets or accidents. I plan to buy a BMW 540 before I'm 25, and cannot afford a hike in insurance (unrelated to the rise when I get the BMW).

Before I bought my Intrepid, I was about ready to get my BMW, all I had to do was sign the papers. Here is a price quote I got for insurance $1000/month!! No Joke, and most other places wouldn't even insure me! I was 18.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Zoinks! $1000 a month! I'm happy paying $100 a month...and I'm sure DJPill will agree, that is pretty good for NY!

·
Registered
111 Posts
CAR AND DRIVER CLAIMS A TOP SPEED OF 139.
I HAD MY 2000 R/T UP TO 125 OR SO. IT GOT
UP TO 152.1 MPH ON THE CHASSIS DYNO. YES,
I KNOW THE CHASSIS DYNO IS GOING TO BE A
HIGH NUMBER SINCE THERE IS NO WIND
RESISTANCE (OR ADVANTAGE OF INCREASED AIR FLOW). :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't think the R/T has a governor on it.
If it did, I don't think I could have hit
152.1 mph on the dyno.

·
Registered
336 Posts
nope, definately not a limiter on the R/T, it's only limited by drag!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts